What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Planning on a new build

Jo5h

I plan on running Adobe Creative Suite 4 upon release and I know I will eventually start using Maya, Cinema 4D, etc. I also want to play games at maximum settings. I have no interest in playing Crysis, so if it the build isn't capable of playing Crysis on maximum settings it's no bother to me. An example of the games I plan on playing would be Diablo 3, GTA4 and Call of Duty 4. I still would like to be able to play any game on the market with max settings though. I also love to watch movies in 1080p, etc.

My current budget is $1000 CDN, but I'm absolutely willing to go as far as $1800.

I'm from Ontario, Canada. Will be buying the parts from Timmins. Possibly from Audiotronic or Futureshop, haven't made up my mind. Depends on the prices I guess.

I have no brand preference, only the overall performance matters to me.

I do not plan on using any parts I currently have for this new build.

I've looked over a few thread here, yes.

I don't think I plan on over-clocking anything, mostly because I don't know how, but I may be interested in it later on.

I plan on building it from now up until December. Going from pay cheque to pay cheque. :whistle:

---------

So, with that out of the way, the first thing I plan on buying is a monitor and was very interested in the Acer G24. I'm hoping Audiotronic or Futureshop with carry the monitor, but if not will at least be able to order it for me. If anyone has any other suggestions for monitor, please let me know.

Well that should just about do it. Thanks for looking and I look forward to any opinions. :)

Darkine

try Canada Computer's if there is one in your area (www.canadacomputers.com)
Everyone hate's their customer service but they have the G24 in stock!

I built a new rig just a couple weeks ago for gaming, like you i don't want to OC or care for crysis though I could OC and run it on pretty high settings if i wanted.

Anyways I settled on the BenQ G2400W LCD... I must say I am impressed... amazing LCD, fast response time, great color depth 1900X1200 in vid games mmmmm :) Paid $339 for it.

My only issue it being a TN model is viewing angle SUCKS! but i could care less cause i sit in front of my LCD anyways and see everything just fine... i don't game from an angle! But other than that, its amazing!

Good luck on choosing your LCD!

Xilikon

Well, we will start somewhere so here's my own suggestion with reasons for each (I left the pricing out but all this will be within your budget) :

-Q6600 : For 3d work, this will be the best processor to help with processing times.
-Asus P5Q-E : Not the top of the line but with great features and overclocking options in case you want to do it later.
-ATI Radeon 4870 or nvidia Geforce GTX 260 core 216 (both perform great for your needs so it's a coin toss).
-4-8 GB of DDR2 RAM (I love Mushkin ;)).
-WD6400AAKS, one of the fastest harddisks in the market without a big price tag. If you want something faster, a Velociraptor would also be something to consider if you don't care about the 300$ price tag.
-A DVD-RW SATA drive like a Pioneer DVR-216DBK
-A case depends on your preferences so I won't make a suggestion. Same for monitor, keyboard and mouse.

If you have questions, feel free to ask and we can narrow it.

miggs78

^^ You know that is exactly what I would have suggested really.
For the DVD-RW SATA drive, also look at Samsung drives, they are some very good ones out there.

As for the Hard drives, either go for 1 of those WD or 2 of them, which in RAID will smoke..

Tazer-[X]

dont do what everyone else ehre does, dont buy a p5q. Thats getting tiring, i dont even geuss on these supposed 'new' build anymore. What would ber eally kewl, is some infineon,qimonda, real micron ram. A gtx 260 vid card. and a raid 10, or 50

Xilikon

dont do what everyone else ehre does, dont buy a p5q. Thats getting tiring, i dont even geuss on these supposed 'new' build anymore. What would ber eally kewl, is some infineon,qimonda, real micron ram. A gtx 260 vid card. and a raid 10, or 50

Why no P5Q ?

Tazer-[X]

Why a p5q? Why not a x38 or x48? Heck, why not an asus server board with a single pcix slot and a socket 771 design?

sswilson

Staff member
Why a p5q? Why not a x38 or x48? Heck, why not an asus server board with a single pcix slot and a socket 771 design?

X38 or X48 boards are generally going to be a lot more expensive than either a P35 or a P45 chipset board without offering much of a difference in performance, especially to somebody who is not planning on overclocking.

I'm currently in the market for a board myself, and initially was looking at an X48 DFI board which had a decent price, but will probably settle on a P45 board if I can find one that seems to be working well for folks.

Latest posts