What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Looking for a low power (but good) PSU

foxman

Hi,

I'm looking for a quality PSU to put in a low power system, to replace a dying Antec EA-500. The hardware it has to support is pretty modest, so anything above 380 W would be enough.

I had the Antec EA-380 and the Corsair VX450 in mind. Actually, there's also a good deal on the EA-500 at newegg.ca (60$, shipping included). But that's it, I have been a bit disappointed with my EA-500, which I had for only 5 months, even if it's suposed to be a good power supply. So I'm wondering... do I have to worry of Antec products or do you think it was only a bad luck ?

Any others suggestions ?

Thanks

ImmaPC

I wouldn't say you need very much, you might be able to slide by with a 350W, or 400W, or even a 430W(A-Power is good :D). If you feel nervous, there's a few 500w's like this one or even This one from Seasonic

Anyway, I hope I gave you enough of a selection, if you'd like me to search a wee bit more, please post it or PM me!

-I'm A PC!

TopDogZero

I see go reviews on the Earthwatts line from Antec, Corsair is also very good. Running the system in my sig on a Antec Neo Power 550 that came with my case with no problems.

MpG

Um, did you read that review for the CM 460? It wouldn't deliver its rated wattage in one of the load tests, Pretty lousy voltage ripple, under-gauge wire, not many connectors... not very promising.

I realize that budget can be a concern, but I'd seriously consider grabbing the Corsair CX400 for the extra $10-15 dollars. From what I understand, the Earthwatts line are supposed to be pretty decent, and a big improvement over Antec's earlier models. Not quite sure what would have caused yours to go belly-up.

yamawho

Um, did you read that review for the CM 460? It wouldn't deliver its rated wattage in one of the load tests, Pretty lousy voltage ripple, under-gauge wire, not many connectors... not very promising.

Depends on the systems requirements ...

Looks good to power a basic system to me.

Many tend to go way overboard with power supplies.

Good for the economy I guess ...

JD

Staff member
Many tend to go way overboard with power supplies.
Uhhh because it's THE MOST important component in a PC?

If your PSU outputs crappy voltages that fluctuate a lot, you're going to have an unstable computer and could potentially lead to frying your hardware. I'm pretty sure it's not worth saving $10-20 by buying a crap PSU.

To the OP, get the Corsair CX400 or VX450. They're pretty close in price I believe so grab the 450 if you can.

yamawho

Uhhh because it's THE MOST important component in a PC?

If your PSU outputs crappy voltages that fluctuate a lot, you're going to have an unstable computer and could potentially lead to frying your hardware. I'm pretty sure it's not worth saving $10-20 by buying a crap PSU.

To the OP, get the Corsair CX400 or VX450. They're pretty close in price I believe so grab the 450 if you can.

Thanks for the FUD there JD.
I'll run out and change all the 300 watt psu's that have been running 24/7 for the past 3 years in my office systems ...

I was not implying to get a generic psu.
The review I provided a link to seems to suggest that it is acceptable if you don't rely on the 460 watt specs and treat it like a 400 or 430 watt psu. At the end of the review, they compare it to the Corsair, Antec and other brands. From memory the Corsair was better rated of course but at extra cost.

Latest posts