What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Raid on test rig

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I want to try Raid 0 on the test rig that I'm building. I have 5 13gb IDE 5600 RPM Seagates drives available. Could it be possible to "link" twice 2 drives as Raid 1 then "link" both assemblies as a Raid 0?

Would be something like such:

703467018e33869e.bmp

Ideas anyone?

John

sswilson

Staff member
A lot of that will depend on your motherboard, and I've never run raid myself, but my understanding of a 0 + 1 setup is that it is done with several striped drives for speed, and then 1 larger drive for the mirror.

3.0charlie

Thanks. I forgot to add that the mobo only supports SATA Raid, but I have bought an IDE Raid controller, which can support Raid 0, 1 and JBOD - upto 4 drives.

Reviewing my drawing, I don't clearly explain what I want. Here's another try:

Link 2 13gb drives for a total of 26gb, times 2.
Then link both assemblies in Raid 0 for performance.

That would be basically twice Raid 0, using 4 drives. Feasible?

John

francois methot

Thanks. I forgot to add that the mobo only supports SATA Raid, but I have bought an IDE Raid controller, which can support Raid 0, 1 and JBOD - upto 4 drives.

Reviewing my drawing, I don't clearly explain what I want. Here's another try:

Link 2 13gb drives for a total of 26gb, times 2.
Then link both assemblies in Raid 0 for performance.

That would be basically twice Raid 0, using 4 drives. Feasible?

John

Whit an external drive as back up....and if you could have all 4 in RAID 0..

I did try in the past, the RAID 5 and RAID 1+0 and this is what I got now:

4 disks in RAID 0 + 1 drive back up

You could have an external disk for back up. I use Acronis to back up the complete disk (incremental) every day...take 1 minute.

I did have a virus one day and I restore the complete OS disk in one hour like is was the day before.

Sandra benchmark my RAID 0 at 240 MB/s and 6 ms random access time...

Cheers!

3.0charlie

Thanks! I'll research more tonight on the subject matter. It seems that a Raid-0 with 4 HDDs is feasible. The performance increase is not as substantial, but the risk factor increases as much.

I think it's worth the try - anyway this is only a test rig, no data per say will be saved on the HDDs.

John

ebdoradz

2 drive in raid 0 give a nice performance increase,
3 drive in raid o perform almost the same has 2 drive
4 drive in raid 0 perfoem a bit better then 2 or 3 drive but the margin is only a few %

the setup you propose is riad 0+1 and it CANT be done by putting 2 drive in raid 1 and 2 other drive in raid 1 and then both array in raid 0

because controller that support only raid 0 or 1 wont allow you to make raid with array

so my guest would be 2 array of 2 disk in raid 0 and a drive for back up

3.0charlie

Good to know. So basically, it's this:

2 drives with their own mirrors - Raid-1, combined in a Raid-0.

Is that right?

3.0charlie

One last comment / question: I'm pretty sure it's a RAID 0+1 that I want to set-up. But physically, how would that look like? Using the IDE cables, connect 2 drives at the ends of the cables and the 2 mirror at the middle connectors?

Do I have to set the jumpers to Master and Slave?

I just can't seem to find the info on the net.

John

pscout

Fallen Folder
I assume your ide raid card has 2 ide interfaces? Not sure if their will be a preferred config for performance, but the raid software may predetermine it for you.

I always like to set the drives as master and slave just in case csel (cable select) isn't supported by drives/controller and it avoids any confusion if you detatch the drives.

Its also a good idea to label things as well ... the software interface for it (bios and usually some managment software in windows) will list each drive by interface and maybe serial #).

I have never done a raid 0+1, and on my old ide rigs/adapters i only ever used raid 1. In fact on some of the old rigs with bios limits on hdd sizes, i even used these adapters to to support large drives, without raid.

On my current rigs with raid, i am using sata raid with intel matrix storage manager software. Of the 3 rigs with raid atm one is a simple raid 1 on 2 drives, the other 2 are running a raid 5 and a raid 0 volume across 3 drives. One is using ich7r and the other ich8r.

All of my newer 965 based mobo's also have jmicron chips which support raid but i have not heard great things about their. New nvidia chipsets also have it but I don't know much about them.

Raid 0+1 looks like a great idea for your 4 5400 rpm drives to get some performance improvement.

Doing shutdowns with it is important or you will find they are doing rebuilds a lot to resnyc the mirrors and this might reduce the performance advantage of raid 0 while the rebuilds are underway.

Last edited:

3.0charlie

Yup, card has 2 IDE connectors. So I'll connect the drives as Masters and Slaves, using the IDE cables.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your last sentence.

John

Latest posts