What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

OMG e8400, are you SERIOUS? :(

Eldonko

Jack that up to 4Ghz and it it is still 33C then RMA it. Intel will probably do it, just call them. Does it always stay at 33 under load and idle?

Chilly

Yes, always at 33 for both cores at under load AND idle. :blarg: I'll try 4ghz in a bit.

Yes, but your at a 15c ambient, fully loaded 30-40c-ish with a 15c ambient sounds about right. Your not stressing the CPU enough to push it over where the sensors stuck I'm sorry to say. If the diode is STUCK at 33c, you need to load it(heat it up) PAST where its stuck. With a room ambient of 15c, your NOT doing that, even when fully loaded.

Push it to 4GHz, use IntelBurnTest to load it/stress it, and move it into a room where the ambient is 20-25c. Till you do the tests in a room with a NORMAL ambient, I'm not convinced your CPU is faulty.

Eldonko

There is no way there would be no temp delta from idle to load, LN2 and the best designed LN2 pot ever made cant even make delta 0. Ive never heard of a chip not giving temp readings, I would bet it is the motherboard. What board is it?

Chilly

There is no way there would be no temp delta from idle to load, LN2 and the best designed LN2 pot ever made cant even make delta 0. Ive never heard of a chip not giving temp readings, I would bet it is the motherboard. What board is it?

Read his post again, his ambient is 15c. Hes got a STUCK diode, so it doesn't read below 33c period. You COULD have LN2 at -112c, but his CPU would still read 33c regardless because its stuck. Only way to get it "unstuck" is to heat it up PAST the "stuck" temp. The delta is unknown.

Read the links I posted above, its an uncommon, but regular enough issue with the 45nm S775 CPU's. :biggrin:

MpG

That should be an issue for RMA. The thermal shutdown protection works off those diodes, right? What happens if his cooling solution suddenly failed? Granted, the stock heatsink MIGHT be able to keep things under TjMax, even without the fan spinning, but not necessarily.

Chilly

That should be an issue for RMA. The thermal shutdown protection works off those diodes, right? What happens if his cooling solution suddenly failed? Granted, the stock heatsink MIGHT be able to keep things under TjMax, even without the fan spinning, but not necessarily.

Thats the thing, the diodes are only stuck BELOW the "stuck" temps, once the temperature rise's 5c or so above the "stuck" level, they work normally. Thats why I want him to test is in normal ambient(20-25c) environment. The diodes are known to do this(get stuck) in the 45nm CPU's, but it doesn't prevent them from working normally/doing their job, which is underclocking/shutdown when getting close to TjMax.

The built in diodes were not built for lower temperatures, so when they fail at lower temperatures(get "stuck"), its a non issue, as long as the higher end(40-20c buffer before TjMax) works properly.

enaberif

You could always pull the heatsink off and power up the computer and let it heat up quickly ...

(I don't really suggest this)

:p

jaszypoo

Using a P5Q Pro mobo with 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 sticks running at 1:1.

I finally managed to finally set up my WC today, single cpu loop. Here are the results. Room is now at around 25c with the heater turned on :haha: Looks like the temp diodes are now unstuck! When its back to idle, it still stays at the 33c spot and will not go lower.
Screenies are with prime running/on load.

2_9.jpg

What do you guys think? Totally normal, yes? Keeping it, yes?
OT, but what should I do next in terms of OCing. BSOD @ anything higher than 4.23ghz. Is the core voltage too high at the moment? I have it under AUTO...

Latest posts