What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

MoDT HTPC Build Log

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Huzzah! I finally got my crap together from my old system and am/will be building a MoDT HTPC!!! For those that dont know, MoDT means "mobile on desktop". Ive bought, through various sources (*coughebayandncixcough*) a turion ml-32 1.8ghz processor to start my build, along with some of my old parts and/or parts that werent getting enough use in my main system.
PICTURES!!!
First, The ATI Theater 650 HDTV Capture Card :
6034689a9933fc58.jpg

My Audigy 2 Zs pro platinum that i rave about, it will get more use here than in my main system:
6034689a9933e470.jpg

A good ol' stick of OCZ PC-3200 Premium ram, 512megs.
6034689a9933cc87.jpg

And finally, my old beast, the ATI X800XL All-in-wonder AGP:
6034689a9933b48b.jpg

Parts on order (or waiting for it to arrive):
AMD Turion ML-32 1.8Ghz socket 754
MSI K8MM3-V Motherboard (Old and crappy, but its the best Turion board i could get that has AGP for cheap)
Logitech MX-5000 Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo (thanks to jjbigdog for this one!!)
Apevia X-Qpack2 case w/ 500watt psu included
Asus Sata DVD Burner
Zalman 7000 AlCu Cpu cooler (will be able to run without the fan almost for sure)

Let any and all tell of what they think of this build.... um, yeah. Opinions are welcomed. The more you get me to think about it, the better i can build the system.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Ive got an extra question now for any/all:
Has anyone ever tried using a peltier TEC cooler in conjunction with any heatsink (or maybe a zalman 7000 like the one for this build). Ive seen them all over ebay for under $20 bucks or so. Im hoping that once could be used for:
A) increasing the height from the exposed core allowed the cpu cooler to make a better thermal connection to the zalman
B) since peltiers are supposed to be extremely efficient coolers i was wondering if it could be used with the zalman with the fan OFF. Can it be done?

moditir

TEC make more heat then what you CPU started off with it's just that it move alot of the heat a few mms further away from the CPU so it would be best to use a TEC with water cooling and a large case

moditir

Huzzah! I finally got my crap together from my old system and am/will be building a MoDT HTPC!!! For those that dont know, MoDT means "mobile on desktop". Ive bought, through various sources (*coughebayandncixcough*) a turion ml-32 1.8ghz processor to start my build, along with some of my old parts and/or parts that werent getting enough use in my main system.
PICTURES!!!
First, The ATI Theater 650 HDTV Capture Card :
6034689a9933fc58.jpg

My Audigy 2 Zs pro platinum that i rave about, it will get more use here than in my main system:
6034689a9933e470.jpg

A good ol' stick of OCZ PC-3200 Premium ram, 512megs.
6034689a9933cc87.jpg

And finally, my old beast, the ATI X800XL All-in-wonder AGP:
6034689a9933b48b.jpg

Parts on order (or waiting for it to arrive):
AMD Turion ML-32 1.8Ghz socket 754
MSI K8MM3-V Motherboard (Old and crappy, but its the best Turion board i could get that has AGP for cheap)
Logitech MX-5000 Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo (thanks to jjbigdog for this one!!)
Apevia X-Qpack2 case w/ 500watt psu included
Asus Sata DVD Burner
Zalman 7000 AlCu Cpu cooler (will be able to run without the fan almost for sure)

Let any and all tell of what they think of this build.... um, yeah. Opinions are welcomed. The more you get me to think about it, the better i can build the system.
why not get a mini ITX mobo?(and CPU)

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Okay stop.
Did you look at the pictures? Video, sound and capture cards = 3 expansion slots minimum. A VIA integrated itx will not stand a chance against this system. I dont care if its the highest VIA EPIA they make, onboard graphics cannot even come close to rivaling an X800 Video card. Much less the hdtv capture abilities and advanced sound card.

sswilson

Staff member
I'm noticing a decidedly "dark" theme to most of the PCB that's going into the build..... :)

I know many of the MSI boards came with black pcb, it'd be pretty cool if the one you're getting does as well.... :)

M

Misoprostol

TEC will not work for what you're doing. That CPU should be able to be passively cooled anyway

Cheator

Yeah that CPU will run nice and cool. I ran a Turion on an ECS board a while back and it barely needed tobe cooled. Just some airflow and a heatsink.

One thing I should mention though, is that that CPU probably won't work well for HDTV signals. My 3200+ Sempron AM2, which in any benchies, beat both my ML-30s to hell, struggles with recording and playing at the same time for normal TV. And my 4200+ x2 was just enough to make it run smooth.

That being said, its a nice setup, and nice to see a Turion. I love those little things! Mine OCed like nuts. And then it blew up cause I was just using a modified HSF brtacket and not a special rig. Make sure yours is on TIGHT.

Latest posts