What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Motherboard - Best bang for the buck

element291

Someone saw my miniitx project that i've wasted well over $900 on so far and is dying to have it, so pending sale what would you guys suggest is the best motherboard I should go with.

I'm looking for one with at least 2 x16PCI-E slots SLI ready and 4 or more memory slots. I'll probably start at 2x2GB then switch it up to 8GB.

I'm sporting the Intel Quad as well.

JD

Staff member
Get the 750i at least, if possible, 780i or 790i if you can go to DDR3.

Personally I would pass on the 650i/680i since they had their fair share of problems.

kruzn4evr

If you go with a 750i just make sure you go with the Ftw version, the regular 750i has a cheap n cheezy NB fan set up. The 780i would be a better way to go in the long run, it has more sata connectors than the 750i which only has 4 and has the 2GB lan and of course a 3rd PCI-E never hurts either. You should be able to pick up a good used one for around $170 (I'll be selling mine when the RMA'd new one gets back...nudge nudge ;)

element291

I plan to sli probably later on in the year. Looking for motherboard now, and will most likely have a few graphics cards by june(ish)

Do you suggest a better way?

enaberif

I plan to sli probably later on in the year. Looking for motherboard now, and will most likely have a few graphics cards by june(ish)

Do you suggest a better way?

It all depends on your needs and wants.

Do you plan to ever use a screen larger than 24"? If not SLI isn't really needed with such powerful single card solutions.

enaberif

I most likely wont run anything higher than what I have now. Samsung T220HD 22" HDMI

Then SLI would be a waste. Single card like GTX 260 55nm or GTX 280 will be more than enough for you.

You could go for a P45 chipset board like a Gigabyte P45 or P5Q-Pro and be very happy.

Latest posts