What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Installing QP-Res upside down?

sswilson

Staff member
Ok, so I picked up a new res for my testbed (thanks wolfbane!! :) ) and I've had some problems with getting the QP-Res completely bled so I'd like to install it upside down.

So far, everything I'm finding via google suggests that it'll work fine (non-functioning res) but I'm wondering if anybody out there has actually used one installed with the barbs at the top.

BTW... while I'm at it... has anybody seen these new "stackable" rads from swiftech? Looks pretty damn cool to me... :)

Swiftech

donimo

haven't done it, but I don't see why not, just make sure the fill port is sealed up well right?

those stackable ones are cool, woder how many you can do before you are actually heating thae last one up! :haha:

Babrbarossa

Blowing the heat from one rad through the other doesn't seem like the most efficient way to cool. I also don't understand how the flow is dispersed through the two rads- it looks like the flow rate would be quite slow (divided by two for each additional rad) ,but so would resistance I guess. But with flow rate cut in half, you're losing alot of the benefit of the extar surface area.

sswilson

Staff member
Blowing the heat from one rad through the other doesn't seem like the most efficient way to cool. I also don't understand how the flow is dispersed through the two rads- it looks like the flow rate would be quite slow (divided by two for each additional rad) ,but so would resistance I guess. But with flow rate cut in half, you're losing alot of the benefit of the extar surface area.

Yeah, it certainly wouldn't be 2X the cooling of a single 320 rad, but even if it's only 50% that would push it up beyond a 4X 120mm rad which most folks don't have the room for.

MpG

Not quite sure how you intend to use the res upside down. You said it'll be non-functioning? Why bother having it in the first place, then?

And yeah, I'm a little skeptical of the rad stacking myself. The design should see flowrates through each rad cut almost in half, and since the efficiency curves of most radiators don't flatten out until about the 1gpm mark, even a 1.5gpm system would see the effective flowrates through each rad below that mark, which would reduce efficiency. And that's not even accounting for the second rad getting hot air from the first. Not sure what to think about that, tbh.

sswilson

Staff member
Not quite sure how you intend to use the res upside down. You said it'll be non-functioning? Why bother having it in the first place, then?

And yeah, I'm a little skeptical of the rad stacking myself. The design should see flowrates through each rad cut almost in half, and since the efficiency curves of most radiators don't flatten out until about the 1gpm mark, even a 1.5gpm system would see the effective flowrates through each rad below that mark, which would reduce efficiency. And that's not even accounting for the second rad getting hot air from the first. Not sure what to think about that, tbh.

The "non-functioning res" is how swiftech themselves refer to what orientation will and will not work with the QP-Res rads.

I'm adding a discrete res to the loop, and am trying to avoid having to buy a non-res rad to replace the one I'm using.

I'm having problems with my loop not bleeding properly (it's been running for months and I've still got "foam" once it gets up to speed) and it's been suggested that having the barbs at the top of the rad will help it to bleed.

MpG

:doh: For some reason I thought you were referring to the MicroRes. For what it's worth, I've used the single rad/res while sideways, with no problems (with a discrete reservoir). Although, I had to tip the case to ensure full bleeding, but once that was done, things were just fine. Mind, I've also found this rad/res to work just fine as intended, so I'm not sure why yours wasn't working properly.

sswilson

Staff member
:doh: For some reason I thought you were referring to the MicroRes. For what it's worth, I've used the single rad/res while sideways, with no problems (with a discrete reservoir). Although, I had to tip the case to ensure full bleeding, but once that was done, things were just fine. Mind, I've also found this rad/res to work just fine as intended, so I'm not sure why yours wasn't working properly.

Yeah I've used them in other loops as well without any problems, but that was always with their combo pump/heatsink. I'm wondering if the extra flowrate from a discrete pump is too much for the res to handle.

I'm hoping that the (huge!!!) res I'm adding will allow the "microbubbles" to dissipate, but we'll see.

MpG

Did you try pinching the tubing to slow things down while bleeding? If I understand the design properly, once bled, it shouldn't matter how much flow is going through, since the reservoir part is partially isolated. Or it actually un-bleeding the system afterwards?

sswilson

Staff member
I didn't try anything like that. I suppose I could just slow down the pump to see if that helps.

I've tried running it with the cap off (hoping that maybe the "pressure" inside the closed loop was the issue), I've spent hours moving the WC system around in the hopes of clearing it, I've googled & asked if inlet/outlet has any bearing on these rads (I'm assuming that one side goes to the top directly) but no matter what I've tried I've still got what can best be described as "foam" in my loop when it's running.

Latest posts