What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What happened to Mushkin?

encorp

Their product is barely available anywhere now a days. It's like they have all but dropped off the face of the planet. Finding tri channel kits by them is next to impossible; I've seen nothing in regards to Ascent/Redline DDR3 even though I was told months ago it was on the horizon...

I've got a 965 sitting here; I've seen some various kits around on Newegg but non of the stuff I want is in and I'm honestly not really happy with any of the available memory kits so far...

I had a couple of the Crucial Kits but ended up changing my mind because of the price etc.... plus I -really- want some good mushkin sets to be available.

So until something good shows up (and is actually available). This 965 can sit here ;p

enaberif

Mushkin was and is over rated memory thats more money than its worth ;)

With memory of the likes of G.Skill its hard to compete.

MpG

It wasn't that much more expensive than other brands, really. And you didn't get those odd-ball motherboard incompatibilities that some other brands ran into, and their heatsinks actually stayed on and worked. And yeah, I was really hoping to see what they came out with for their Redline/Ascent tri-channel kits, but looks like nothing ever materialized. I wonder if they had planned to use those new Elpida IC's that some other companies are using, but yields and binning were too poor to go around?

Moneyless

Why are you guys all talking about Mushkin in the past tense, did they go tits up or something? :ph34r:

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
My mushkin redlines were cheaper and able to do the same speeds at 2.05 volts as the OCZ and Crucial at 2.4 volts I tried before them, great memory.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
With the loss of Greg, their presence has suffered like crazy. Add to that their entire marketing team has been in shambles for the last year or so and you can only begin to see why they have next to no exposure.

Personally, their current situation certainly has all the looks of a company restructuring.

At this point however, it is very hard to recommend their kits when there are excellent alternatives from G.Skill, Patriot and Corsair.

enaberif

With the loss of Greg, their presence has suffered like crazy. Add to that their entire marketing team has been in shambles for the last year or so and you can only begin to see why they have next to no exposure.

Personally, their current situation certainly has all the looks of a company restructuring.

At this point however, it is very hard to recommend their kits when there are excellent alternatives from G.Skill, Patriot and Corsair.

Oh come on.. their sales didn't go through the roof because of Greg. Sure he may have helped but it wasn't the only reason.

They were popular in the days when competition was good between memory makers because ddr2 prices fell so low and it was a cut throat time between the large companies.

But now that prices are so low and companies like G.Skill are offering good kits at good prices, why would someone pay more for a kit? It just doesn't make sense.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Oh come on.. their sales didn't go through the roof because of Greg. Sure he may have helped but it wasn't the only reason.

I never said he was the only reason for Mushkin's success. He was a contributing factor since he gave them a public face on at least 12 extremely popular forums I am aware of. What I was saying is that without Greg, their presence has suffered since their marketing team was lost at sea ever since MushkinTom left.

Basically, they were counting on Greg pimping their products so they didn't have to pay close attention to review sites and send out samples. Now that Greg isn't actively supporting them anymore, they are in trouble since their presence on review and news sites is next to nil.

We all know that if you want to sell a product, you have to market it. Without marketing, less product will sell, which means less money which in turn leads to the inability to make a play for first shipments of sought-after ICs such as the new Elpida chips. IMO, this is what is happening and would explain why we are seeing next to no tri channel products from them in the channel.