What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Let's go Team !!

LCB001

Not sure if this is old news (the folding forum was not available to this Roger's customer for a while) but Pande said on Feb 24th that there is a hardware stress test they are planning to release:

Is something interesting for debugging these issues or did Pande promise this ages ago?
Sounds like something interesting, but knowing how quickly the Pande Group works I wouldn't be holding my breath for it to happen soon. They have been working on a new SMP core for a long time too...

zlojack

Well, I got the backup rig folding.

So far, my ppd aren't great with any either the i7 or the 9800GT, but expect they will rise. The i7 is running at 4GHz, so I figured I'd get more than that! Not even 4k ppd! I suppose it will take a while for it to rise?

Folding.jpg

LCB001

So far, my ppd aren't great with any either the i7 or the 9800GT, but expect they will rise. The i7 is running at 4GHz, so I figured I'd get more than that! Not even 4k ppd! I suppose it will take a while for it to rise?

Folding.jpg
I'm not sure why your i7 isn't doing better, but by the looks of it your SMP Backup is crunching a Classic client WU which is single core. You need the -smp flag on the shortcut to make sure it downloads the SMP core and WU's. If you check task manager I think you will see only one instance of the FahCore_a1.exe*32 running

zlojack

I'm not sure why your i7 isn't doing better, but by the looks of it your SMP Backup is crunching a Classic client WU which is single core. You need the -smp flag on the shortcut to make sure it downloads the SMP core and WU's. If you check task manager I think you will see only one instance of the FahCore_a1.exe*32 running

I put -smp in the shortcut, but maybe not the first time I ran it.:doh:

Anyway, do you think that E4500 is going to be alright crunching SMP WUs? Or should I just put two regular consoles on it?

The i7 is puzzling. I set it to use 90% of the CPU to leave a little CPU time for the two GPU clients, but that's a lot less PPD than I expected. Earlier it was doing about 3k on each client but now it's dropped.

Bleh...I need sleep and the furnace just cut out on the coldest night of the year!

I'll fiddle with it tomorrow!

Thanks for the help guys!

EDIT: Looks like SMP Backup has now got the SMP Gromacs core running.

LCB001

I put -smp in the shortcut, but maybe not the first time I ran it.:doh:

Anyway, do you think that E4500 is going to be alright crunching SMP WUs? Or should I just put two regular consoles on it?

The i7 is puzzling. I set it to use 90% of the CPU to leave a little CPU time for the two GPU clients, but that's a lot less PPD than I expected. Earlier it was doing about 3k on each client but now it's dropped.

Bleh...I need sleep and the furnace just cut out on the coldest night of the year!

I'll fiddle with it tomorrow!

Thanks for the help guys!

EDIT: Looks like SMP Backup has now got the SMP Gromacs core running.
Once the E4500 has done a few frames just make sure it will meet the deadlines, should be alright depending on how much it's OC'd.

As to the i7, alot depends on which WU it gets, 3.0 is the man to check with about i7's and SMP's. I think you should up the CPU usage for the SMP's to at least 96% as the windows SMP core usage isn't balanced across all the cores and so leaves CPU cycles free by default, I find it makes a significant difference on mine just between 96% and 98%. I'm presuming you don't have the GPU's locked to a specific core.

And if you get cold, turn up the rigs that should help...:haha:

M

member 3099

After trying about 5 times to get this sucker started... it went.. new thing for smp here?

Project 3065 R3 C189 G21 - 2144 points :ph34r: 70-77% CPU usage

Last edited by a moderator:

CasheKicker

Mine started a 3065 R1, C309,G7 today too. PPD have droped significantly.

I also find the 420WU have been keeping my overall PPD down too.

M

member 3099

Mine started a 3065 R1, C309,G7 today too. PPD have droped significantly.

I also find the 420WU have been keeping my overall PPD down too.
I haven't gotten a 420 yet.... at least if I did, I didn't see it. That's okay... those :censored: 511 are keeping my GPU's busy
2987ppd on it... seems better than 1920pt WU

Last edited by a moderator:

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie

Folding.jpg
GPU2 is running a 353, ppd's pretty good.
GPU1 is running a :censored: 511, nice ppd.
GPU back-up (the 9800GT OC?) is running a :censored: 511 probably, which is fine ppd there. Wait 'til you hit a 353, should reach into the 4k-4.5k ppd range.

Now, I don't get the low ppd of the i7. Running as a Service, did you select Big WUs? 'cause my 920 at 3.8 (w/out Turbo) would run dual 2653s at ~2500 ppd. The 965 stock is folding 2653s at 2100 ppd. But definitely run yours at 95%.
The E4500 should be fine with the SMP Client.

zlojack

GPU2 is running a 353, ppd's pretty good.
GPU1 is running a :censored: 511, nice ppd.
GPU back-up (the 9800GT OC?) is running a :censored: 511 probably, which is fine ppd there. Wait 'til you hit a 353, should reach into the 4k-4.5k ppd range.

Now, I don't get the low ppd of the i7. Running as a Service, did you select Big WUs? 'cause my 920 at 3.8 (w/out Turbo) would run dual 2653s at ~2500 ppd. The 965 stock is folding 2653s at 2100 ppd. But definitely run yours at 95%.
The E4500 should be fine with the SMP Client.
This morning things look a bit better.

FAHMon is giving me around 26k ppd. The i7 SMPs have crept back up over 2300 and the E4500 is pulling about 1300.

I'm going to run the config when I get home and bump all the SMP clients up to 95% plus I got my third GTX 285 so I should be adding another 6-8k ppd to the mix :punk:

Latest posts