What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Let's go Team !!

chrisk

Folding Captain
If you read the member list of Team FTL, you can see the #1 entry for username for ppl installing the crack was nothing (anonymous) and when they read the instruction that said to put in any username you like, the second most common one was literally "any username you like" So right there, those 2 users are obviously via the crack.... but how do they know the entire rest of the team is not still from the crack? If ppl are so stupid as to put "any username you like" as their username then the majority would put a real username, "alex" "joe" "cooldude" whatever might seem like legit users but still stupid to install fah thinking it was needed for the crack.

I think they're gonna have to do more down the road, this penalty looks like something to quiet the masses (other teams) for a while. I think the whole team should go the way of Default and Google.

Lol just checked out EOC stats for our team and guess who is about to overtake us in 6.3 days.....

Alwaysrun

I dunno where I stand regarding FTL (faster than light). I don't think they should all lose their points but really it's a huge headache for pande to audit the entire team to save hurt feelings from just 30 odd legit users. I figure it was just one smart ass on the team trying to play robin hood or perhaps it was some devious person trying to bring thier team down. It's been a month since Pande slapped them down with that huge penalty yet they continue to climb the charts. I actually feel bad for some of thier users, slugging away at 3k ppd and doing the best they can and then getting penalized.

Personally if I were them I'd just disband the team and start fresh, really their top legit producer only has 390k total points and the teams only been running for 6 months.

sswilson

Staff member
Lol just checked out EOC stats for our team and guess who is about to overtake us in 6.3 days.....

Hold on that..... remember that those stats are based on the previous PPD. If they've "knocked down" the offending accounts then their PPD will drop drastically over the next few days and they'll drop further down the list.

LCB001

Hold on that..... remember that those stats are based on the previous PPD. If they've "knocked down" the offending accounts then their PPD will drop drastically over the next few days and they'll drop further down the list.
Team FTL had their points cut last month, this is the second time they will be passing us...

sswilson

Staff member
Team FTL had their points cut last month, this is the second time they will be passing us...

Yeah, I had a look at their "members" and they're still getting points from the obviously bogus ones. I was under the impression that the bogus ones were going to be shut down, but apparently that's not what's happening.

The only solution I can see now is for the team to be shut down / renamed.

edit:

Unfortunately, my experience in the past has been that the administrators of FAH have very little understanding of how important the points are to keeping people interested.... they seem to ignore these kinds of things until they blow up on them and they start losing global PPD when folks move to other projects in disgust.

LCB001

Yeah, I had a look at their "members" and they're still getting points from the obviously bogus ones. I was under the impression that the bogus ones were going to be shut down, but apparently that's not what's happening.

The only solution I can see now is for the team to be shut down / renamed.

edit:

Unfortunately, my experience in the past has been that the administrators of FAH have very little understanding of how important the points are to keeping people interested.... they seem to ignore these kinds of things until they blow up on them and they start losing global PPD when folks move to other projects in disgust.
It's become a soap opera. They finally set up a website to refute what people are accusing them of, on which they have a list a mile long of 'bogus' users they supposedly want banned. For anyone that wants some comic relief.

Team FTL Folding@Home Blog

Stanford is slowly starting to pay attention, they have started having a little more presence on the forums and actually responding to posts, still pretty weak tho...

chrisk

Folding Captain
Lol yeah it is like a soap opera. I first caught wind of this on here yesterday and started going through a few forums last night reading about this stuff. Many people feel pretty strongly about this! I think the issue is simple; disband the team or at least the points by the rogue users. Stanford can simply accept the WUs and the science they did, but award no points. Should not be too hard for them to accomplish this if they really cared about it.

The folding forums can get pretty interesting actually. I followed a thread where some leaked 185.xx nvidia drivers were netting double points (ie. 13k ppd on a Core 216)...it was pretty fun to watch the frantic efforts in the threads to verify. In the end Stanford would not totally confirm that the science done by the leaked drivers were good or bad. In either case it looks pretty interesting....

chrisk

Folding Captain
Somebody from Team FTL is distributing a game crack that has a F@H installer in it. The installer automatically adds the crack user to Team FTL. Thus, many people are folding for Team FTL without even knowing about it. This also violates Stanford's rules, as you are supposed to download F@H directly from Stanford, and you are not supposed to have a pre-configured config file with team info, etc.

CasheKicker

Aye.

Well, I am split on this one...

OK so the team is getting unethical points, OK I understand that. They are giving the program unknowingly to software pirates, hmmm, lesser of 2 evils.

But ultimately, more users folding is the greater good for the cause is it not. Although I am disappointed in the unethical means it is good for the cause. NO? After all are we not folding for a cure, not for personal poins and satisfaction. Ok I like the points too.

Latest posts