What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Rig won't shutdown

Carob99

Just built new rig with Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L and e6750. System will not shutdown from windows, it always re-starts. I've tried several things:

unchecking auto restart after failure
disabled all "wake-on" functions
removed all unnecessary cards/started with bare minimum (PCIe video, 1 stick of RAM, HD, DVD-ROM)
Reinstalled OS several times (still reboots will just fresh install and MB chipset drivers)
Switched out PSUs
Checked all case front panel connectors

The odd thing is, in BIOS if I set Soft off - PWR BTN to 4 sec delay, it shuts off fine, but thats the only way I can get it shut off completely.

I'm just looking for any other ideas, Thanks in advance.

Considering RMA'ing the MB but wanted to check first.

System Specs:
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Intel e6750
2GB Corsair XMS DDR2-800
BFG 7950GT
Corsair 450VX PSU

Jack Rabbit

You covered most of the bases I can think of. I would have guessed a stuck power button but you checked that.

Did you replace the keyboard? Maybe it has one of those fancy soft power buttons and is conflicting with the BIOS or something?

sswilson

Staff member
All I can think of is something funky going on with M$'s power saving features.

Did you disable all power saving features within the OS?

Other than that.... I don't remember if the gigabyte bios has a "hardware aware OS" setting... might be something like that.....

Did you try setting the bios to "default (or safe)" to see if it went away?

G

All I can think of is something funky going on with M$'s power saving features.

Did you disable all power saving features within the OS?
Vista? Had my fill of their power saving options. grr

Ever check your Enter button on your keyboard see if it is sticking? Just had that happen on the wifes rig the other week, had me scratching my head for a few minutues until I realized what was going on.
Do a BIOS rewset like sswilson said, see what that does for you.

harlequin2134

HAVE SAME PROBLEM HERE, but on the old system only my mother uses. so i dnt worry 2 much.

i have swapped out everything except the PSU, but you've already done that .. im stumped. i usually just turn it off and immediately cut the power lol ..

Latest posts