What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New HCF folding members please post here for intro and tag requests!

pscout

Fallen Folder
To what effect would changing my folding nickname have on my status, team, etc.?

From a stats perspective there is no such thing really as a change ... if you start using a new stanford username (and/or team #) in your clients, then it is the same as a new user. Existing points that have been credited will stay with whatever username and team # was used when the wu's were completed and uploaded. If you enter a name/team# that already exists, then you are donating points to that id!

The reason i suggest keeping it simple is that i have known folders who made a typo when setting up a client on a borg (eg a friends rig who agreed to fold for them) and didn't notice till hundreds of thousands of points later that they screwed up either the username, or worse, the team # when they were editing the client.cfg. I have made the same mistake a few times but i have caught the error after a few wu's.

There is no checking at stanford, and no way for them to really check either that your rig is using the right name/number. For example, i can decide to donate points to anyone I want just by changing the name in the client before the wu completes & uploads (stopping the client of course to make the name/number change). And if i enter a name/team # combo that doesn't currently exist in stanford stats, then i have just created a new user.

If you were to pick a new name to fold under at hcf, your old id would stay in the stats and your new id would start from 0. Then you could pass yourself! :ph34r:

Amon

Alrighty then. With the new laptop and my main PC running ostensibly 24 hours a day, I'm folding much, much faster--from 2 work units to 8 in almost a week. Here are some PPD stats:
PC: about 125 points per day @ 24/7
laptop: about 250 points per day, per core (500 total) @ 16/7

To the E6600 owners: watch out! :thumb:

pscout

Fallen Folder
I see we have a new team mate - 'thebone' ?

Welcome to the team :bananafunky::bananafunky::bananafunky:

Let Gav know your HCF id so he can fix you up with an HCF folding logo :biggrin:

belgolas

Well I just started and I think it is working.WU End is Nov 6. It is only using 25% of my cpu speed. Using the Graphical Client. User Name is Old_Ladies. O.K. Now it is up to OCT 7 for WU END.

Last edited:

pscout

Fallen Folder
Well I just started and I think it is working.WU End is Nov 6. It is only using 25% of my cpu speed. Using the Graphical Client. User Name is Old_Ladies.

Welcome to the team! :biggrin:

The unicore client will only use 1 core since it is single threaded.

While the graphical client is easiest to install, it is also prone to open gl conflicts with other app's. Still, not a bad way to get started. With a single unicore instance on your quad you are probably only gonna get about 10-15% of your quad's potential.

Once you get comfortable with folding you may want to switch to a higher performance configuration. We can give you a hand when/if you want to switch. Best to startup a new thread of your own here when you do.

I find it hard to keep on top of situations/progress when we get several of these activities going in 1 thread and it is easy to miss single posts.

4DoorGTZ

Not a new folder, but have been absent. Just bought a PS3 and threw Folding on it for kicks. Should boost me in the pts fairly soon :)

sswilson

Staff member
Not a new folder, but have been absent. Just bought a PS3 and threw Folding on it for kicks. Should boost me in the pts fairly soon :)

Great to see you back!!!!

We missed your points when you headed off, but they certainly got us kick started when we needed it.

Latest posts