What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Check this out...

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Viva le Quad, VmWare and Linux... check out the total PPD in FahMon.

I have to thank pscout for all the help he gave me (and not to mention a great E6400 and some beautiful Mushkin XP2s...)

John

703470444a47cfba.jpg

pscout

Fallen Folder
Sweet! Another quad folding addict :biggrin:

What is the 6400 running? one of those cache intensive 2608/9's? linux or win smp?

If it is and it is running linux, you can try swapping it with a 2653 on the quad but if it is running win smp don't move it now since it will probably restart from 0%. There is some risk but if you make a backup copy of each wu before moving them you can always restore them the way they are now. It would probably gain a few hundred ppd overall.

With Fahmon, you can select the client and right click to 'view files' on each instace ... an easy way to open an explorer window to each client's share. I don't move wu's around much lately, but if i get 2 2609 on a single rig ... at least in native linux, it is best to run them one at a time or move one to another rig with 4mb cache. Haven't had to do it yet with vmware/linux and the impact might minimized by setting affinitiy on each vm so the 2 clients don't clash over the 2 4MB caches.

Last edited:

3.0charlie

Another quad folding addict :biggrin:

What is the 6400 running? one of those cache intensive 2608/9's?

Nope, 2653 actually... it's still under Windows, not Linux. That will change tomorrow, once I play with VmWare a bit more.

Worse comes to worse, I'm about to receive some Mushkin HP2s for a customer; he may not need them... were do you think those will end up?

:haha:

pscout

Fallen Folder
I was pleased to see how nicely those mushkins oc for you.

I have a couple of 1 gb kits of corsair 5400 ul that get similar oc's and i am gonna combine them on one of my 1 gb quads rigs running vmware so it isn't so laggy to use ... although once running i never touch them anyway unless i have to. Most of my rigs are still running the v5 client and i won't upgrade them to v6 until i have to stop them for some reason.
... the clocks on a few of the vms have drifted 1 hour so far so that might be what makes me restart them at some point.

Last edited:

3.0charlie

The Quad is crunching twice 2605s, not 2653s... I think I will leave it alone. Remember that this project started with the "Little rig that could"...

Now look at that. Q6600 + E6400, Mushkin's Ems + XPs, Gigabytes P965-S3 + P35-DS3L, one water-cooled...

I'm very far from the beginning... :biggrin:

John, Quad-addict.

Sweet! Another quad folding addict :biggrin:

What is the 6400 running? one of those cache intensive 2608/9's? linux or win smp?

If it is and it is running linux, you can try swapping it with a 2653 on the quad but if it is running win smp don't move it now since it will probably restart from 0%. There is some risk but if you make a backup copy of each wu before moving them you can always restore them the way they are now. It would probably gain a few hundred ppd overall.

With Fahmon, you can select the client and right click to 'view files' on each instace ... an easy way to open an explorer window to each client's share. I don't move wu's around much lately, but if i get 2 2609 on a single rig ... at least in native linux, it is best to run them one at a time or move one to another rig with 4mb cache. Haven't had to do it yet with vmware/linux and the impact might minimized by setting affinitiy on each vm so the 2 clients don't clash over the 2 4MB caches.

3.0charlie

I was please to see how nicely those muskins oc's for you.

Oh! those XP2s do oc very nicely. And they still will - don't worry, I have another plan for them. :ph34r:

I have a couple of 1 gb kits of corsair 5400 ul that get similar oc's and i am gonna combine them on one of my 1 gb quads rigs running vmware so it isn't so laggy to use ... although once running i never touch them anyway unless i have to. Most of my rigs are still running the v5 client and i won't upgrade them to v6 until i have to stop them for some reason.
... the clocks on a few of the vms have drifted 1 hour so far so that might be what makes me restart them at some point.

I'll have some fun with the E6400 and the 1gb of Ram with VmWare. I'll try to find a sweet spot to run the darn thing without too much lag. I'd better because I have another plan for those XP2s. :ph34r: (I already said that, didn't I?)

John, Quad-addict.

Latest posts