What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Want to Sell Reminder: Properly Wipe Storage Devices Before Selling

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
The real question is... who bought what from who and what was on there? :rofl:

Me. I bought a spare drive from someone on RFD. I loaded it and most of the data was intact. Luckily for the seller, I'm not a person to go snooping so I unplugged it and told him about it.

If I WAS up to no good, I am sure there could have been all sorts of stuff stuck in the history or browsing cache I could have sold through certain channels.

jay51

Me. I bought a spare drive from someone on RFD. I loaded it and most of the data was intact. Luckily for the seller, I'm not a person to go snooping so I unplugged it and told him about it.

If I WAS up to no good, I am sure there could have been all sorts of stuff stuck in the history or browsing cache I could have sold through certain channels.
Your a very honest person SKYMTL :thumb:

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
One way or another, we all have to remember that most people here are honestly good people, there are plenty who will sit there beating off to your wife while selling your banking info to the highest bidder. We can't count on everyone being a model citizen.

gingerbee

One way or another, we all have to remember that most people here are honestly good people, there are plenty who will sit there beating off to your wife while selling your banking info to the highest bidder. We can't count on everyone being a model citizen.
amen brother preach it ha ha just kidding :haha: just check this out and these are the people you not supposed to worry about Sky News Undercover Laptop Investigation: Repair Shops Caught Hacking Into Personal Files | UK News | Sky News
I always make sure my clients stay until i have zero or killed the drives data most of the time ( I like my privacy so i think people should respect everyone else's ) JMO:punk:

Thund3rball

Oh, you mean I am the only one here that goes out of their way to buy old HDDs and computers just to get my hands on crappy vacation photos, where the same overweight/sr. citizen is standing in front of every landmark/monument thing they see (sorry dad I mean no offense).:rofl:

Jonwall

That made me lol. Seriously though you cant depend on the buyer to not snoop through your data and erase it. One hdd i bought was a refurbed drive fresh from the factory so there was no issue there, but a smaller 40gb portable drive i got wasnt and i didnt even think of trying to snoop, just loaded my own stuff on. Not everyone is that honest though, so if you do happen to have videos of you and the wife and they get leaked out in a situation like this its your own fault.

Personally i use wipe drive to zero drives, maybe a second or third pass just to feel more secure even if it makes no difference.