What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Data recovery service request

sswilson

Staff member
AFAIK, there's no such thing. Is it a physical problem with the drive or might it be the controller card?

If it's the controller card you can try to find the exact same model / revision and swap them out to get the HDD up. If it's a physical problem with the HDD then you're talking platter swap in a clean environment or something similar.

Mark

AFAIK, there's no such thing. Is it a physical problem with the drive or might it be the controller card?

If it's the controller card you can try to find the exact same model / revision and swap them out to get the HDD up. If it's a physical problem with the HDD then you're talking platter swap in a clean environment or something similar.

Probably the controller. When the unit is plugged in it shorts out the powersupply ( only the power plug not the IDE ). I've since placed a new harddrive in the system and the system is up but I have to access his business data file.

sswilson

Staff member
It might be the controller, but I'd be more inclined to look at the drive motor in that case.

edit: Did you try the drive connected outside of the case? Small chance that it might be a case ground short which only shorts the PSU through the case.....

Mark

It might be the controller, but I'd be more inclined to look at the drive motor in that case.

edit: Did you try the drive connected outside of the case? Small chance that it might be a case ground short which only shorts the PSU through the case.....

Well if that's the case then it's not worth fussing around with. Any suggestions on a recovery center?

sswilson

Staff member
Sorry, can't help you there. Never ran into anybody who was willing to pay the costs associated with data recovery.

KaptCrunch

Mark whats the HDD brand an model .......i may have good controlier collecting dust, i get slap slap when i boot drives disk errors

Chilly

Its the Western Digital WD800.

I might be able to help, got a couple WD80's laying around, and I've (successfully) performed controller swap data recovery in the past(long story, HDD PCB caught on fire). What revision number is it and PCB revision?

Better yet, take a good clear picture of the drive PCB as well as the label(blanking out the serial number ofc).

If we have matching drives, I'll do it for cheap, and charge nothing if I fail.