What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Radeon 5870 with Windows XP... Underperforming?

sertz

Hokay, so...

I just bought a new Sapphire Radeon 5870 1GB the other day after reading the glowing review on this wonderful little site, but I am running XP and seem to be encountering some issues...

For the most part it seemed totally fine, I installed the XP drivers that came with the Sapphire CD (as there are no XP drivers available yet on the AMD site) and I ran 3DMark 06 and 03, getting hugely improved results from my previous card, a GTX 275. HOWEVER, then real-world gaming came into play.

Naturally, I popped in the original Crysis. I wanted to see this puppy run, and the first levels were silky smooth 60fps just as I expected, but as soon as I got to more graphically intense areas like the onslaught level with the tanks the framerate would randomly spike up and down pretty drastically... This never happened with my GTX 275 on all the same settings. In fact I dare say my GTX 275 was running these areas SMOOTHER than my new 5870. I am assuming this is a driver issue as there are no official XP drivers for the 5870, which is just asking for trouble... but I wanted to see if anyone else was having the same issues.

And don't razz me for not having Vista or Windows 7, I'm picking up Windows 7 in a few weeks but I just couldn't wait to get the new card. My rig is in my sig.

Anyone else having some framerate spiking issues with their shiny new 5870's? :help:

Killswitch

And don't razz me for not having Vista or Windows 7, I'm picking up Windows 7 in a few weeks but I just couldn't wait to get the new card. My rig is in my sig.

Haha that was the first thing I was going to do. :haha:
I'm going to guess that drivers + XP are your only problems.
Looking here -> Graphics Drivers & Software ......... 5800 series drivers for XP are non-existant.

If you're itching to get that beast running full out, get your self an Windows 7 Release Candidate key and try to find a good torrent to get the disc.

BrianHanna

crysis isn't really the best game to use when comparing a relatively high end nvidia card to a high end ati card.

yamawho

Ahh yes, the early adoptor blues ...

Went thru it with the HD 4870, got it the 1st week it was out.

Last edited:

Lima

Does Crysis have an option to limit the frame rate? If so, set it to 60 or 30 FPS, you can try both to see which performs beter. That might help, might! I know it did with my 4890 in Devil May Cry 4.

Latest posts