What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

esd damage on my video card?

Linus

I wouldn't worry about it too much personally. The card is working fine right now, right?

Bismac

its fine as of now its just that i am worried about the effects later.( its my first high end card thats why im kinda paranoid about it)
hey linus in your unboxing vids do you have antistatic wrist strap while unboxing?

gingerbee

omg your way to paranoid. here you got me thinking that somethings wrong with it. I have never worn an anti-static wrist band don't worry about it ( and if your working on your pc leave it ground and touch the case)
Welcome to HWC :punk:

Zero82z

Banned
It's true that in some cases you can kill hardware with an ESD without even feeling it, but I've personally never had it happen to me after handling probably thousands of different PC components with exposed circuitry and never wearing one of those silly wristband things. Fire up your PC, and as long as the card still works, you're golden.

Ask for more.

M

member 3099

It's true that in some cases you can kill hardware with an ESD without even feeling it, but I've personally never had it happen to me after handling probably thousands of different PC components with exposed circuitry and never wearing one of those silly wristband things. Fire up your PC, and as long as the card still works, you're golden.

Ask for more.
I wear the bracelet out in public for fashion purposes.

Ask for more.

Perineum

Yeah, you're a bit too worried. If it's working now, shrug it off. I personally wouldn't be worried. The cover isn't even on my computer and I'll reach in and molest my video card for shits and giggles.

By the way, old stuff was much more ESD sensitive and a static shock that you feel is in the thousands of volts. So it *is* possible for a shock that you don't feel to damage stuff.

I would fully expect card failure, however.

To put the concerns of the OP to rest though, he could test his card using FurMark 1.7.0 which would test the core and then use MemtestG80 which would test the RAM on the card.

I think that should do it...

headsh0t

Lol you're asking if you've pooched your card but it's still working. I'm gonna also take a stab at it and that your daddy bought you the card. You're a funny guy. Lol "I touched my card" OMG!!! Sorry to poke fun but I've been Ell Oh Ell'ing since first starting to read this thread!

But seriously though, next time your cleaning your case just touch a part of the exposed metal on your case and voila, you're grounded and no ESD. This actually reminds me that when I got my ASUS A8N32 SLI-Premium from ebay back in the day, I found pieces of carpet within the anti-static bag and like stuck on the mobo. I was like wtf did this guy rub this on his carpet before sending it to me. Luckily it still worked. And that's why I don't buy PC parts from ebay anymore.

Ask for more. :thumb:

Last edited:

Latest posts