What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GTX 260 issues

zlojack

Hi all :biggrin:

I got home yesterday to find my machine in a black screen (which is normal). So I moved the mouse and hit the keyboard a few times, which usually brings everything back just fine.

No dice.

So I do a hard reboot, no problem, this has happened before. Same thing. Gets to Windows loading screen, shows the loading bar, but then goes to a black screen.

Hmmm.

So I reboot and go into Safe Mode and...lo and behold..it gets in. Alrighty then.

Reboot from Safe Mode and....nada. (OC has been reset to default, of course)

:dots:

Ok...so I go back to Safe Mode and uninstall the GPU drivers, run Driver Sweeper etc... Now it boots into Windows no problem and I download the new drivers from nVidia and reinstall them.

Reboot to Windows and....black screen after loading screen.

So I swap out the RAM with some brand new RAM just to be sure. No difference.

Then I unplug all USB. No difference.

So finally, I pull out another video card that is waiting to go into my other rig (procrastination FTL - I think I'll get it done in January! :haha:) Uninstall the waterblock, pop on the stock heatsink and fire it up.

Now everything works.

My conclusion...problem with the first video card.

Should I do some more testing or just RMA that mofo?

Rig Specs Currently:
EVGA X58 Classified 759
i7 920 D0 @ 3.0 GHz
6 GB DDR3 @ 1400 7-7-7-20
2 80GB X25-M in RAID0
EVGA GTX 260 (vanilla, now removed)
EVGA GTX 280 (now installed)
Windows Vista Ultimate x64

I should mention that this card folds constantly when I'm not gaming and the CPU crunches.

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
Was the other card the exact same model? I recently had a clients do the same thing (a plain jane desktop with onboard video). I spent way too much time trying to sort it out, ended up doing a fresh install of windows and that cured it. Never did figure out the cause but something in xp went south.

zlojack

Was the other card the exact same model? I recently had a clients do the same thing (a plain jane desktop with onboard video). I spent way too much time trying to sort it out, ended up doing a fresh install of windows and that cured it. Never did figure out the cause but something in xp went south.
I swapped out a GTX 280 for the GTX 260

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
There's apparently been some issues with 191 and 195 drivers overvolting the GPU's. I'd do some googling.

KaptCrunch

Question are using 2 moniters on the video card?

has his issue when updated drivers the default primary change to my other screen witch was turned off

chrisk

Folding Captain
:sad: Linux?

If you download the CD, you can run right from the CD no install required.

You mentioned that you have another rig on the go. Do you have enough parts to just throw it together on an open bench, (mobo, psu, ram, cpu, video card, drives) and use the 260 in that rig? Install using the 190.xx drivers with Windows.

Good to see you around...myself and Kruzn mentioned that we have not seen you much!

Latest posts