What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GPU dying? Or ????

RainMaker

So, I have made no changes to my system and now, suddenly, I can only get about ten minutes of game play (on a variety of games) then the game and/or system locks up. Sometimes I can 'Alt-Tab' to the desktop and sometimes not. If I can switch to another app it seems to run fine. Sometimes the screen of the game remains, but the controls do not respond, sometimes it just goes black and requires a one-finger re-start. It only does this during games...movies, 'net surfing, music, everything else runs perfectly. Any ideas? Any way to diagnose the GPU?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

~RainMaker

geokilla

Check temperatures and drivers. What GPU do you have?

Are you getting a BSOD? Or does it just crash and everything feezes?

RainMaker

Check temperatures and drivers. What GPU do you have?

Are you getting a BSOD? Or does it just crash and everything feezes?

BFG GeForce 9500 GT

Drivers are up to date. What is a good temperature range to run in?

No BSOD, sometimes a black screen and sometimes just a freeze...no pattern to which either.

RainMaker

OS? Background apps that autoload? How old is the OS Install? Do you use Driver sweeper in between driver updates?

Vista Home Basic x64
Nothing exceptional I don't think, except Shaw secure (F-Secure)
Negative...what's a driver sweeper?

I will re-iterate, it was working fine until a few days ago. No lock-ups, excellent game play.

Latest posts