What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Mass Effect 2

muse108dc

Many of you will know me as the guy who keeps harping on about how ME1 was a flop, how the story was good but the game in general was boring, and lackluster. And I will continue to do so.

However, it had the bones of a great story and the potential to be a good game. And dont get me wrong, I still think the first game was lacking but I am getting exited enough about this game to replay the first to make the second my game. The reasons for this shall follow.

First reason: Dragon Age: Origins. This is a game I really really liked and while the 2 games are completely different I think/hope Bioware/EA learned a lot from making it.

Second: The Cast. I've seen movies with less impressive casts, while they wont be huge screen names they are name "I" know and "I" recognize from shows "I" have watched and enjoyed. Battlestar Galactica, Chuck, etc. Now I am a critic at heart, I am the type of critic people hate because I find small details that a lot of people wouldnt notice let alone complain about and those things will ruin my experience. I may have forgotten where I was going with this line of thought, if I remember I will come back. But also me remembering an actor from something is also a feat, in general I will know the character's name and not the actors, and then I wont remember where the actors are from but these I actually know.

Third: Promises of intensity. This is something that was really lacking from the first game, I could run across entire planets literally and not run into one enemy, there were no fights that were really challenging, there was no time limits on anything, and you could move about quite a bit even on the story quests and not encounter anything for long periods of time. Dragon Age did this right and I'm hoping they keep to their promises.

Fourth: Team building. I've gotten the impression that you will actually have to work with your team this time and not just level them up. Another thing DA did well, your team had to like you or they left, they also got bonuses for having a group that trusted you significantly, ME1 always felt more or less you were alone to me at least and that the only reason you had a team was to balance your skills a little. Dragon age the team mattered, ME1 it didnt. I'm really hoping they have learned something from DA.

Fifth and final: Artwork. I think a darker atmosphere will be better in general, will add more to the story and add depth to the game.

I have preordered and after Dragon Age I have faith in Bioware to deliver me another good game. I hope this kicks of some good discussion.

My next post will include my opinions on charcter transfer, I know very little about how its actually going to work, as the entire game seems to have been reworked so yeah, have fun, comes out on the 26th I believe. And try to ignore what I typed about being a critic, its sleep talking and I will try to remember where I was going with it. Sorry for the really long post.

YouTube - biowaremasseffect's Channel

Stuff I forgot.

Sixth: Paragon/Renegade. I am hoping, and I believe I read/watched a video somewhere about this, that there wont be as clear lines drawn. I disliked how in the first I got bonuses basically if I was pure one or the other. Life is a series of greys, noone is pure as snow as the expression goes and I'm really hoping that there is a lot more give and take here.

Last edited:

misterlarry

I'm looking forward to this game and agree with many of Muse's comments. I'm so damn busy though that there's no point in pre-ordering because I won't be able to play it for a few months. Will be watching this thread closely after the game has been released.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thund3rball

muse108dc

it better not be xbox 360 as I have a PC version preordered. But it really doesnt matter what Microsoft says as this is in no way a 360 exclusive, it is on the PC I will put my personal grantee on it.

Arinoth

Staff member

thenewguy001

The problem I had with mass effect 1 is that there are too many stupid sidequests and the main storyline was underdeveloped. The main storyline has a lot of unexplored potential and could have been much more engrossing.

The sidequests amost all inevitably make you drive around in the stupid mako for minutes on end to go to a level that has the same design you've seen before hundreds of times with the crates arranged slightly differently.

The multitude of mundane sidequests take away from the sense of urgency of completing the main quest. I'd rather sidequests be better integrated into the main storyline characters and worlds instead of sending you off to uncharted worlds to go mountain climbing in the stupid mako.

I'm certainly in no hurry to buy mass effect 2. Maybe I'll wait until it's 5 dollars like the first one before I buy it.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Splinter Cell: Conviction is coming to the PC.

muse108dc

ok in that way yes, it is xbox console exclusive.

I'm really hoping they have a learning curve with the side missions. The vehicle is suppose to be different which might help. Dragon Age's sidequests were miles better than MassEffect's but they still werent very good. I have hope, and I just hope that I'm not disappointed a second time round.

Thund3rball

Cool thanks for clearing that up guys. I'll chalk this up to more MS misrepresenting themselves to try and beef up their lackluster CES keynote. I hate that MS uses the term "exclusive" so loosely. I suppose now that the PS3 has shown up to the party with a competitive price and a number of actual exclusives worth talking about, MS feels like they need to pad their product range with console exclusives without qualifying themselves.

Anyways, carry on. Didn't mean to derail the thread. Cheers. :thumb:

muse108dc

ok, I can't findout how importing actually works, only things I have discovered are that having (all) the achievements will matter, and the difficulty that the character is played at does not. Choices will matter but it sounds like you can actually do that in character setup in ME2. I do not think skill sets will be transfered, as they are completely different, and yeah, will have to wait and see I suspect.

Latest posts