What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Cost analysis of Vista Content Protection by Peter Gutman

Babrbarossa

I think it's only a matter of three years before Google has developed their own free user-friendly version of Linux (although it will be filled with adware no doubt)

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I keep hearing rumblings of coders working on Windows XP versions of DX10. I wonder how true that is but I did see a post (not on any LEGAL area) where one person posted the complete DX10 source code with confirmed validity. People seem to be working on it very hard and from some of the posts I am seeing, it IS possible to recode certain aspects of the DX10 source code so it works with XP.

Some people are predicting it could take up to 9 months though...and that comes from a GROUP of about 50 coders that are working together.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
I wonder if enough public outcry over the DRM would get it squashed?

Strange how a software company looks like they're going to manage to incorporate hardware drm after so many years of the public saying "no way!!!" to the hardware manufacturers.

Remember when the P4's were going to ship with a specific cpu identifier and how quickly that got $h1t-canned?

What worries me about this is that consumers are not going to have a choice to vote with their feet.

The choice is simply not there.....

If we could purchase big-box computers without an OS it might send a message to microsoft that we're not interested, but as it stands any person purchasing a pre-built computer is going to be getting Vista whether they want it or not.

Babrbarossa

Well- there are large branches of the US federal Gov't that are banning Vista- and switching to linux!!- retraining the staff fot it. That's gotta send a loud message.

enaberif

Heh and now MS has made it so key updates for the OS can't be unchecked, so even if you wanted to not download a specific one you are SOL.

Mars

Heh and now MS has made it so key updates for the OS can't be unchecked, so even if you wanted to not download a specific one you are SOL.

Nobody forces anyone to run Windows Update to install anything. It's easy enough to run windows update to see which patches aren't applied, then to download the executable installers from the MS website.

G

Nobody forces anyone to run Windows Update to install anything. It's easy enough to run windows update to see which patches aren't applied, then to download the executable installers from the MS website.
Yes I agree, but the majority of PC users have very limited experance and just use windows update.

enaberif

And most of that is only allowed if you are using a valid key as it does a validation check.

Latest posts