What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Folding milestone

bwm

Need an estimate please

Ok gents, I need some estimates here.

I already know what my Q6600's and GTX260/216/SE will do.
What is a fair, realistic expectation of what a i7-920 or i7-950 at 3.5 Ghz,
or higher can do?

Add to that roughly 16 to 17k PPD from a pair of GTX262/216 cards, please.

I have all the parts to built two of them on hand right now but I'd rather have
some ball park estimates of what to expect before turning the first screw.

Thanks,
Brad

MonsterSound

Ok ...
or higher can do?
Add to that...
I'm getting ~55K in ~2.2 days just on bigadv units with my i7 860 at 3.7. I suspect your CPU results would be around that. (That's without any GPU folding so your production will be higher.)
Others with more experience and with 920/950's will be able to give you better estimates.

:bananafunky:p.s. Good to see your old moniker back up on the boards here. I hope you and yours are well.

Zero82z

Banned
Ok gents, I need some estimates here.

I already know what my Q6600's and GTX260/216/SE will do.
or higher can do?

Add to that roughly 16 to 17k PPD from a pair of GTX262/216 cards, please.

I have all the parts to built two of them on hand right now but I'd rather have
some ball park estimates of what to expect before turning the first screw.

Thanks,
Brad
With -bigadv, an i7 at 3.5GHz or so with HT enabled should do about 22-25k PPD. If there are GPUs going in the same system, drop that by about 1000PPD for each one.

Also, since you came here asking for help, an apology for your outburst the last time you were here would be nice.

bwm

With -bigadv, an i7 at 3.5GHz or so with HT enabled should do about 22-25k PPD. If there are GPUs going in the same system, drop that by about 1000PPD for each one.

Also, since you came here asking for help, an apology for your outburst the last time you were here would be nice.
Morning everyone.

To EVERYONE who took offense at my post containing the outburst, I sincerely opologize. It was my fault, an unwarranted and childish reaction on my part. I'm surprised I wasn't banned for that alone and am grateful for the second chance.

For _dangtx_, a special sorry for you bud. Wife and tried twice to opolozise to you too but you evidently hold grudges and thus rejected them. So, we won''t bother you.

Its getting very very close to the time of year when I won't have time to do much more than the infamous three S's every day so I won't be around much anyway. Somewhere in that time I have to build two folding rigs, basically already described. The board will be Gigabyte's X58A-UD3R (Revision 1). Comments on the board related to bugs/quirks and reliability/longivity will be helpful.

Brad

bwm

I'm getting ~55K in ~2.2 days just on bigadv units with my i7 860 at 3.7. I suspect your CPU results would be around that. (That's without any GPU folding so your production will be higher.)
Others with more experience and with 920/950's will be able to give you better estimates.

:bananafunky:p.s. Good to see your old moniker back up on the boards here. I hope you and yours are well.
Thanks for the welcome back. That's about where I'm hoping to run. 4Ghz would be real nice, and I think the 950 should reach it pretty easily but I think thats stretching the 920 a little. Hopefully not, but I'll take what it gives me. Each box will have a pair of hot-rodded 260/216 cards in it, just because I already have them, but I await nvidia's new offerings as anxiously as everyone else. Wife is expecting, a daughter in fact, due in September. Not a whole lot of freedom time left!! Seriously, its like a dream come true. :biggrin:

lowfat

Staff member
Thanks for the welcome back. That's about where I'm hoping to run. 4Ghz would be real nice, and I think the 950 should reach it pretty easily but I think thats stretching the 920 a little. Hopefully not, but I'll take what it gives me. Each box will have a pair of hot-rodded 260/216 cards in it, just because I already have them, but I await nvidia's new offerings as anxiously as everyone else. Wife is expecting, a daughter in fact, due in September. Not a whole lot of freedom time left!! Seriously, its like a dream come true. :biggrin:

I wouldn't waste money on a 950. D0 920's will hit 4GHz very consistently.

bwm

Thanks for the responses so far everyone. I decided to rely on advice given here and settled on the 920 chips instead of the 950. I am an overclocker, though strictly amateur with little experience, but I hope to get them to at least 3.0 Ghz minimum.

One more question; will the Thermalright Ultima 90 and Ultima 120's currently setting atop my Q6600 rigs work on the i7 rigs as well? Sure looks like they would and would save a nice chunk of dough but I want to be sure before stripping the Q6600 rigs down.

Brad

bwm

I appreciate the apology. Good luck with the build.
Thanks. Chances are, I'll need some of that luck when starting the overclock.
icon7.gif

Latest posts