What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for GTX 480 and GTX 470 Reviews

Canzara

LMAO too hillarious man!
I just meant the drivers weren't relevant to release date performance when speaking of your impressions. Its the same every new release, the drivers aren't prepared.
The honda shelby analogy told me loud and clear this was a pointless debate
If you had at least used cars in the same CLASS, ok, but that was an absurd analogy

Last edited:

_dangtx_

Banned
Something cross my mind right now. It looks like nVidia deliberately choose lower prices for their Fermi paper launch in strong economically countries and after reviews/launch prices will rise. At least those guys said that.
I'll investigate further maybe it's just a hoax. :doh:

Lancio con prezzi politici:
- GTX470 Eur 349
- GTX480 Eur 479
Dopo i preordini i prezzi subiranno il seguente adeguamento:
- GTX470 Eur 389
- GTX480 Eur 539

and thats in euros hey?

On that note, is it safe to state that "in games" the temperature will never reach that much???
I mean, Furmark or loops of 3dmarks is more intensive that most games out there right?

So, what could be the "expected temperature" of a single GTX470/480 "in-game"?

Also, on an ANTEC 300 case like I have, could a regular 120mm fan located in the side grille be "beneficial" in dropping the temps a little? I mean the 120mm would blow directly onto the 480's heatpipes, the airflow would "lick" the plated heatsink and overall feed the card with colder air that the one coming from the front of the case right?

the 300 is a small case, not sure itll be a good candidate. i wouldnt try it if you shipped me one on the house lol

rjbarker

Nice to know you have so much respect for our province...
Didn't mean to offend those in PQ.....sorry...I DO love Maple Syrup ad I DO respect you as a Distinct Society....and if the Habs are the last Canadian Team in the play-offs..well...go Habs go....

Hell......I'm Ukranian...our people have been fvcked over for years....I think WE should be a Distinct Society......I think we should all be a Distinct Society....hell who needs Canada anyway.....a bunch of Republic Nations ........uh...sorry....:blarg:

Sorry dude BUT thats like saying a riced up honda civic is "better" than a shelby cobra because it uses less gas to launch you into orbit. Efficiency does not equal power. If it did...we would all be driving 3 cylinder cars. Power = Power. How fast a card can crunch numbers and spit out a pretty picture is power...not how much juice it takes for it do it.

As for tripple monitor on one card. Yeah, that sounds like a great idea in theory. BUT for intensive games...it better be a dual GPU card otherwise it will be as slow as crap OR look like crap....which brings you right back to dual SLI cards.

Like I said BOTH camps go about it differently....but end up in the same general location.

IF drivers werent relevant to gamers then no one would bother updating them as there would be no point. Drivers for GPUs can have a HUGE impact on performance.

And let me be clear. I dont care about NV or ATI. I look at each gen and see which will fit me better. Last gen it was NV. This gen who knows. Im waiting for the 460 to come out and then see how it compares to ATI. IF the mid line ATI is better I'll get it. IF the 460 is better I'll get it. __________________

^^^ Very well put !!:thumb:

Last edited:

Canzara

I don't get peoples short memories at least Nvidia came out with faster cards. I remember ATIs 6 month delay of the 2000 series and they still got smoked when they came out! :haha:

What does that have to do with this?
were talking about today, not an old release.
I already stated that normally nvidia smokes them, but I don't see it that way this time, i think nvidia should be ashamed releasing this considering how they have previously dominated things.
Again, if this was released on the same day then ok, but they had 6 months and this is all they could do?
I dunno, maybe I just expect too much?

AkG

LMAO too hillarious man!
I just meant the drivers weren't relevant to release date performance when speaking of your impressions. Its the same every new release, the drivers aren't prepared.
The honda shelby analogy told me loud and clear this was a pointless debate
If you had at least used cars in the same CLASS, ok, but that was an absurd analogy

And that was the point of the analogy. Sorry if it went clear over your head.

ATI's way of doing things is different then NVs. TOTALLY different. You cant really say X is better than Y because X does Z better than Y does it. They are different beasts that in the end get you from point A to B. In the case of GPUs its to make as pretty a picture on your monitor as fast as possible. ATI is more efficient this gen. NV even with unrefined drivers is more powerful. Time will see which "wins" this round. HOPEFULLY for all our sakes it ends up being a tie.

rjbarker

What does that have to do with this?
were talking about today, not an old release.
I already stated that normally nvidia smokes them, but I don't see it that way this time, i think nvidia should be ashamed releasing this considering how they have previously dominated things.
Again, if this was released on the same day then ok, but they had 6 months and this is all they could do?
I dunno, maybe I just expect too much?
^^^^ So exactly what were your expectations....mew Fermi being 50 - 75% faster then 5850 / 5870 ? The percentage increase is exactly what most of us were expecting.......to get e real good idea of the performance increase compare a 470 / 480 to a 285 / 295.......

I'v never seen a new release Card outperform a previous competition release by more than what is here.......please educate me as to when a new release nv or ATI Card outperformed its competition by more than 15 - 20%....

Don't gt me wrong...traditionally I hae ben an nv Fanboy...no doubt about it......but I'm still tossing around 5870 xFire or 470 SLI........

Canzara

well if thats the case, whats the point at all?
Honda and Shelby are not marketed to the same audience, gaming video cards are...Thats why we compare them.
Again, I wanna see how that 480 does after removing that 1/2 gig of extra memory
Or even use a 2gb 5870 against a 480, lets see those numbers and then we'll have a 1/2 ass fair comparison at least...as it is, Nvidia's using more hardware for a nominal boost, is that why the extra hardware is there?
Quite possibly, but we don't know. I have to question if that was the whole motive of the extra min memory config.

Oh ya and the Nvidia cards cost more...

encorp

Actually I beg to differ, I don't think video cards ARE marketed to the same audience; like cars there's a version for everyone.

Canzara

Actually I beg to differ, I don't think video cards ARE marketed to the same audience; like cars there's a version for everyone.

if they aren't why does anyone care whats faster?
All these benchmarks would be absolutely pointless if they weren't marketed to the same people.
After all, your not seeing them comparing gaming cards to workstation cards.