What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for GTX 480 and GTX 470 Reviews

wembler

Again, I wanna see how that 480 does after removing that 1/2 gig of extra memory. Or even use a 2gb 5870 against a 480, lets see those numbers and then we'll have a 1/2 ass fair comparison at least...as it is, Nvidia's using more hardware for a nominal boost, is that why the extra hardware is there? Oh ya and the Nvidia cards cost more...

I'd also like to see if this rumored 5890 comes out to match this release. There are lots of potential option over the next few months for us all. It is significant to me that until this new release, efficiency was on the increase; now, it has done a 180. I am pretty sure ATI can match such a nominal performance increase, but we will see. If they do, we get the performance and the efficiency back. But in reality, we really have that now b/c of the close perf call btwn the 5870 and 480. Will be interesting indeed.

r0bc

I'd also like to see if this rumored 5890 comes out to match this release. There are lots of potential option over the next few months for us all. It is significant to me that until this new release, efficiency was on the increase; now, it has done a 180. I am pretty sure ATI can match such a nominal performance increase, but we will see. If they do, we get the performance and the efficiency back. But in reality, we really have that now b/c of the close perf call btwn the 5870 and 480. Will be interesting indeed.

I you work for ati? is it pr or sales?

wembler

I you work for ati? is it pr or sales?

Smart comment! It's easy to label someone a fanboi. Plz try to be a little more creative than that! Actually, I have two gaming rigs. One with 2x 285s and the other with an ATI set-up. Was looking to buy one or two of the new fermi cards, but for me, for such marginal performance increase I would not consider it at this point when the rumors abound of an new card coming out from ATI. As a consumer I want to see what all is available to me. Then, if you factor in the heat, power and noise issues = non-starter until I see what the manufacturers do with these new Fermi cards.

Plz stop taking the easy way out and crying fanboi if you cant be more objective.

rjbarker

But in reality, we really have that now b/c of the close perf call btwn the 5870 and 480. Will be interesting indeed.
I must be reading a completely different Review that Sky did, I primarily concentrate on the 1920 x 1200 Tess Enables / Full AA / AF and in all cases the 480 beat the 5870 by a significant amount and in many cases the 5870 even fell short of the 470.......right now the 470 SC is up fo $399.....I could care less what the other Res Benches are....

Bump the Clocks up on the 470 and it surpasses the 5870......

Right now I don't see a 5870 less thn $459 and available.....and as much as $499.....

AkG

Smart comment! It's easy to label someone a fanboi. Plz try to be a little more creative than that! Actually, I have two gaming rigs. One with 2x 285s and the other with an ATI set-up. Was looking to buy one or two of the new fermi cards, but for me, for such marginal performance increase I would not consider it at this point when the rumors abound of an new card coming out from ATI. As a consumer I want to see what all is available to me. Then, if you factor in the heat, power and noise issues = non-starter until I see what the manufacturers do with these new Fermi cards.

Plz stop taking the easy way out and crying fanboi if you cant be more objective.

Guys lets all come down. Wembler your comment did come off as tad fanboish. The 5890 may be a dual core GPU, so it probably will beat any single core gpu you wish to compare it to.

OR it may end up being a factory OC'ed card that will be a lot hotter running. Either way it is going to be hot.

Last edited:

wembler

I must be reading a completely different Review that Sky did, I primarily concentrate on the 1920 x 1200 Tess Enables / Full AA / AF and in all cases the 480 beat the 5870 by a significant amount and in many cases the 5870 even fell short of the 470.......right now the 470 SC is up fo $399.....I could care less what the other Res Benches are....

Yes, well, the numbers to vary somewhat depending on the review you read. Bottom line is an approx avt performance of around 15% across the board. In some games at some setting the 480 stomped on the 5870. In others it was a little behind. Bottom line, no performance marvel here. If you want to go out and pre-order a new card for a price to be determined on purchase date, on the basis of one review, on the back of that marginal performance gain across the board, with the huge opportunity costs in efficiency and all the while knowing that something new is coming out from the other manufacturer, well, that is your prerogative. As a consumer, I just choose to assess my purchasing decisions differently.

wembler

Guys lets all come down. Wembler your comment did come off as tad fanboish.

I guess it might be hard not to look fanboiish to some. But that is why I provided the info that I run cards from both companies. Just saying these particular cards are not for me at this time. I will wait and see over the next couple months.

r0bc

I must imagine anyone who pre-orders a 480 on the back of a preliminary review is a company fan boy. And yet some ppl pre-order the Fermi on the basis of the initial reviews, which show an increase of approx 15% on Avg - a far cry from the technological coup that was claimed even w/o heat, noise issues. It actually = fail at this point b/c the ppl who pre-ordered did not wait for the response - from the company that is in the drivers seat here. Yes the response may be enough to beat the 480 or not. but they didn't wait to see it. They pre-ordered = smart. NV loves you!!!!!!!!! Followers! If in 1.5 months from now the 480 is on top, then I will get one. Until then, i will see what happens.

Don't forget skill actually counts in the game as well!! Oh, but get your pre-orders out now!

Smart comment! It's easy to label someone a fanboi. Plz try to be a little more creative than that!

Your forth post you did just that....your the first person to get on my ignore list

Latest posts