What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Macs Overpriced?

FtGF

I have a good idea for you; why don't you give your idea on if a mac is overpriced or not :)

1) it will keep the thread going

2) it won't get deleted (well... er... maybe)

3) it will give us an idea if you are just here to brew trouble or to make the thread interesting :thumb:

If you look at every other post I have ever made I have never caused trouble so whatever.

If I really want posts deleted I'll go post on xtremesystems their power-trippers oh I mean moderators will take care of that. Most modertators on here are cool having posts deleted that are not in anyway causing trouble not cool!

That just rubbed my the wrong way I like this site exactly because it's not like every other one.

And about macs well Apple has to pay for their obnoxious advertising some how!

m1dget

I think I'm tired.... but I'm not really understanding what you're saying, exactly....

Anyway I'm not trying to compare anything to anything. I'm simply saying that if 2 items are exact and one costs more (packaged nicer and more expensive) people will automagically think that the more expensive one is the same, even though it's the same thing.

Ohh, ok. Well yeah that I would agree even though if most of the people in "computer" will prefer and will jump on anything that cost the less (including free stuff).

Digikid

Banned
They are indeed overpriced...and for older hardware and a linux based OS....I dunno. All I can say it that I would never buy or recommend a lappy or workstation from them. Just get a powerful PC and install Linux and you have the same thing pretty much for a lot less. As for looks....will performance is more important than looks IMHO.

To each their own.

Polygon

Yes, but unless I misunderstood your analogy you should not be comparing apples to apples since they are not the same. The widgets are not the same (if we are talking about mac/osx/pc/windows/*nix) under the hood even though they look alike.

(edit: sorry for double post mods o.o)

I'll have to agree with m1dget here,

What you get when you buy a PC/linux/etc system is the hardware and a choice of operating system. You can buy the parts separate and then buy the operating system. You have freedom and flexibility over the OS and parts.

With macs, they have a different system. You buy the computer as a whole (including the OS) and the OS will only work with their type of hardware. You can still customize parts, but it's still "their" hardware. Therefor, your not only paying for the hardware when buying a Mac, but the right to use their OS. You can't build a computer from scratch and install Mac OSX on it. Atleast you can't very effectively.

By contrast, you can install windows/linux/etc on almost any type of hardware.

So yes, there is a difference. It's apples or bananas. Both systems have their ups and downs.

m1dget

They are indeed overpriced...and for older hardware and a linux based OS....I dunno. All I can say it that I would never buy or recommend a lappy or workstation from them. Just get a powerful PC and install Linux and you have the same thing pretty much for a lot less. As for looks....will performance is more important than looks IMHO.

To each their own.

Just tell me I didn't see that :doh:

I think my avatar wants to kick your butt :haha:

geokilla

In my opinion, because they're targeted at fanboys.

Yes they do look nice, and function well and everything. However am I willing to pay $1000 for a Macbook with such poor specs when I can get a similar laptop for $600? No way.

Digikid

Banned
Just tell me I didn't see that :doh:

I think my avatar wants to kick your butt :haha:

Unix is the base from both Linux and OSX came from which makes it the same core-wise. Same code....different Interface.

Synth

In my opinion, because they're targeted at fan-boys.

Yes they do look nice, and function well and everything. However am I willing to pay $1000 for a Mac book with such poor specs when I can get a similar laptop for $600? No way.

I think people are also forgetting the software.

iLife has no substitute in the Microsoft world, nor Garage Band, etc.

For me personally, I have never been able to find a Microsoft/Linux equivalent to Coda. Sure Linux has Bluefish and Quanta but they don't compare. Microsoft has Web Expert, but it just falls short.

But honestly, I think I will shy away from these threads, because I have a sneaky suspicion some members have NO experience with Apple platforms.

Last edited:

belgolas

I agree there is always a lot of fud. Windows guys and Mac guys have NO clue about the opposite products.

Yes you can get a much cheaper computer from a windows company but I will NEVER buy my mom a windows PC as she is not tech savvy enough. My brothers and I bought here a Mac mini for her birthday. After getting a few upgrades, monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers it came very close to 1 grand (several years ago). At that time I could have built her a much cheaper computer but not as small and not on Mac. She is the kind of person that calls customer service because she forgot to push the monitor power button(should have gotten her an iMac :p). Funny thing though the Apple genius couldn't figure out the problem till I can home and I just pushed the monitor power button lol.

My dad on the other hand owns his own business and needs windows because the programs he uses is not on Mac. So I built him a $700 computer monitor, keyboard, mouse, OS (thank you technet :) ) included. It is pretty fast as it also has a SSD in it. He doesn't use the internet much so has never had a virus and I never had to fix anything for him. While my mom still complains about something though it is always user error.

There is also this rumor that Mac lasts longer than a windows Machine. Well that is utterly false. If you look at some recent studies Apple has a failure rate similar to Sony laptops. While HP is the worst Dell surprisingly lasts just as long as Apple computers. There are some windows companies that last longer than Apple. Although Apple does have the highest customer satisfaction.

There is also this rumor (M1dget even keeps saying) that Macs are similar in price. If you look at this MacBook Pro - Buy MacBook Pro notebook computers - Apple Store (Canada), then look at this LU Computers. That Asus 15" is cheaper than the 13" higher end Macbook. It is MUCH faster, MUCH higher resolution, and overall better. The only thing hardware wise the Mac has better is the battery life. Meanwhile if you look at this NCIX.com - Buy ASUS G51JX-QB1 Intel Core i7 720QM 8GB 500GB 15.6IN FHD GeForce GTS360M BD-ROM Win 7 Prem Notebook - G51JX-QB1-CBIL In Canada. it is cheaper than the 15". It is much faster, much higher resolution, double the ram, can play 1080P blue-ray as because it has a blue-ray drive. Again the Mac only has battery life. Oh and both of those laptops come with more accesories for FREE. Plus they both come with a free laptop bag.

But you can't argue price because some prefer that OS over others. So you can't really argue that one is better than the other. With a Mac you have an awesome easy to use computer. You have the best computer for movie, and audio creation for the average Joe. Meanwhile with windows you can do everything the Mac can do but somethings just not as good or as easy.

So this thread really has no purpose other than if you are a windows guy that doesn't need the features of the Mac OS then yes it is overpriced. But if you are a Mac guy that needs or wants those features than no it isn't overpriced at all.

Latest posts