What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

ASUS G73JH-A1 with ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5

Takkyu

Woo! Glad to see a topic on this laptop. Got one of these bad boys a few weeks ago myself to replace my core2 desktop. One of the best purchases I've ever made. Can't wait to go to a few LANs with this bad boy. The bag and mouse included are pretty stellar as well.

Omaha

Hello everyone

I would like to ask if another mobility Radeon HD 5870 would fit in (crossfireX). I know it would drain the battery like crazy just asking.

Also what is the maximum RAM we can put in ? I was reading some reviews, some of them were saying 16gb, 12gb or 8gb maximum.

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance

rjbarker

I would like to ask if another mobility Radeon HD 5870 would fit in (crossfireX)

No....not designed nor built to accommodate a 2nd GPU

Has that got 2 slots or 4 ? Pop the cover off the bottom and have a look......its either 8 GB or 16 GB ......

If you haven't already, you should be looking at getting an SSD (re-install OS in it) if you really have the upgrade bug ;)

Omaha

No....not designed nor built to accommodate a 2nd GPU

Has that got 2 slots or 4 ? Pop the cover off the bottom and have a look......its either 8 GB or 16 GB ......

If you haven't already, you should be looking at getting an SSD (re-install OS in it) if you really have the upgrade bug ;)

lol definately ...upgrade bug sucks. :biggrin:
It could have 3 or 4 slots and 2nd gpu is possible only if the motherboard is modified but in the process I will loose warranty according to ASUS.

Waiting for july august, SSD is going to have a big price drop.

Inate8

Laptop does NOT do crossfire.
Also it is 4 ram slots, three on the bottom and one under the keyboard. Makes for some seriously funkiness.
I know too much about a laptop I don't even have yet. >_>
I read tooo many issues and for a desktop replacement, I don't want issues.

Evilyeti

Laptop does NOT do crossfire.
Also it is 4 ram slots, three on the bottom and one under the keyboard. Makes for some seriously funkiness.
I know too much about a laptop I don't even have yet. >_>
I read tooo many issues and for a desktop replacement, I don't want issues.

I have had mine ASUS G73JH-A1 since April and i don't know what issues you've read about but my laptop has been running solid no problems.

This is the review i posted on NCIX for anybody interested in this laptop.

"Reviewed by Evilyeti on April 9, 2010 Experience: 3 Months
img_stars_5.gif
grey_dot.gif
Pros Processor, Memory, Video Card, Speakers, 1080p Screen, HDMI, 4xUSB, Blu-Ray, Wireless-N, Back-Lit Keyboard
Cons Battery Life, Rubber Feet Fall Off
Summary Ok so i have edited my review to go over the past 3 months of living with my ASUS G73JH-A1 laptop.

I have now had my G73JH-A1 for 3 months and I do not regret my purchase one bit.

You get a Core i7 quad core processor, 8GB of DDR3 memory, 2x500GB HDD's that can be swapped with SSD's. ATI 5870m graphics card with DirectX 11, Blu-Ray, 4 USB ports, HDMI, Wireless N and a 1920x1080 17.3" Display that is beautiful to look at!

The first thing i did when i received my laptop was burn the factory recovery disc's using the software provided after you finish setting up Windows. I than proceeded to format the hard drive and do a clean install using a OEM Windows 7 CD, I than installed just the drivers using the ASUS Utility disc a select few other applications so that the computer would be as clean as possible with no bloatware. The computer has been running strong for the past 3 months with only two issues that i have encountered. The first issue was the rubber feet on the bottom of the laptop have started to fall off after just 3 months, this is not a fatal or huge issue to me but I want to put that out there so everybody knows before hand. The second issue i have encountered is I own a Steel Series XAI gaming mouse and for whatever reason the laptop refuses to load into Windows if the mouse is plugged in before the laptop is turned on, I have tried many other USB mice (Logitech, Razer, Microsoft) and the laptop will boot/post/login to Windows just fine. So if you're buying this laptop and have a Steel Series XAI mouse, remembered to unplug your XAI from the USB port otherwise the laptop will just hang at the Windows Logo. I have attended quite a few lan party's in the last 3 months and I haven't had an issue running any of the games that we play (Team Fortress 2, Starcraft 2 Beta, Call of Duty MW2, Dirt2, Half-Life 2, Just Cause 2 and quite a few more.) I have run all my games at highest settings and average 60fps or higher. The rubberized finish on the laptop makes it feel and look like a gamer/rugged laptop and it is very comfortable to type on and rest your hands/palms on even after long gaming sessions. The back-lit keyboard is great for when your at a lan party or just playing in the dark! The laptop ventilates itself so well that you never even notice how hot it actually gets, Just warn anybody who sits across from you at a lan party because the heat goes pretty far and will keep the person sitting across from you pretty warm!

This laptop is incredible value for money and you cannot go wrong with one 5/5 stars from me, I hope this review helps anybody sitting on the fence or trying to decide if its worth it!

This review was modfied by poster @ 06-16-10 06:06 PM "

Latest posts