What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Folding too confusing? Try BOINC!

Zero82z

Banned
Back in the day before CPU folding was worth it
That was never the case. CPU folding has been useful since day 1 of the program, if you set it up properly.
But I think you'd agree that setting up a Virtual Machine and/or SMP folding client is not simple.
Setting up the SMP client is simple. Setting up a VM isn't so much, but it's also not necessary any more except for -bigadv (and SMP still produces very good results on -bigadv-capable machines for those who don't want to deal with the VM hassle).

Anyway, I'm not here to crap on BOINC or anything, but I just want to set the record straight. I'm personally not big on the non-medical DC projects, but there are plenty of worthy BOINC projects to contribute to for those who are interested. From what I have heard it is very easy to set up, though I can't comment on that personally since I've never touched it.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Setting up the SMP client is simple.........
.......there are plenty of worthy BOINC projects to contribute to for those who are interested. From what I have heard it is very easy to set up, though I can't comment on that personally since I've never touched it.

Tell you what. Take 3 minutes to install and uninstall the Boinc software, then tell me again that installing the SMP folding client is simple.

And if you'd bothered to read my posts or click on the Rosetta@Home link, you'd know that this project's aims are very similar to Stanford's Folding@Home, i.e. medical research towards the treatment and prevention of serious illnesses like Cancer.

Again, I'm not trying to sway current folders away, but make people aware that there's a simpler option to set up. Like maybe on your friend's or relative's computers who want to help but aren't the enthusiast power user like some members here.

chrisk

Folding Captain
No worries Sugar I did not see it as such. Any wasted cycles are, well, a waste lol.

I did find that Boinc was easier to setup in my instance, but I actually enjoy setting up and monitoring my clients as its all a part of the hobby. If it easier though, the science may benefit.

Despite the advantages Boinc has, my biased experience is that the folding community is pretty interesting and gets more exposure.

10e

Tell you what. Take 3 minutes to install and uninstall the Boinc software, then tell me again that installing the SMP folding client is simple.

And if you'd bothered to read my posts or click on the Rosetta@Home link, you'd know that this project's aims are very similar to Stanford's Folding@Home, i.e. medical research towards the treatment and prevention of serious illnesses like Cancer.

Again, I'm not trying to sway current folders away, but make people aware that there's a simpler option to set up. Like maybe on your friend's or relative's computers who want to help but aren't the enthusiast power user like some members here.

I'll try it out for HWC's R@H team. This is like marriage. First I fold, then I BOINC. Dating was better :)

I'd have to agree with Zero82z in wanting my DC resources to do medical stuff first and foremost, but I must also agree with you on the F@H stuff needing to be easier to setup/maintain.

It took me an hour yesterday (and some registry hacking) to finally get one of my SMP clients to load up as a service in Windows 2003 x64. Bollocks.

We'll see how this goes on a quad.

Last edited:

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Thought I'd give this a resurrect seeing as I hit 2 million points yesterday. While the new version 7 folding client is much easier to use than the old one, I like the Boinc client on my work machines because it automatically stops crunching as soon as you touch a key or move the mouse.

bissa

ya, I was going to point out the F@H7 client. it gives some of the best PPD that you can squeeze out of your machine, with very little effort or effect on your normal use (or at least as I've seen).

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
My wife would disagree with you. I used to have the v7 client on her machine, and she complained about it slowing down the machine constantly even though the priorities were set correctly. I set up Boinc on her system again a couple of weeks back and she hasn't noticed it running yet. That's the ultimate test for me.

Again, it is not a replacement for enthusiast folders. It's a valid option for the less technically inclined who want to help out.

Shredder

Hey SugarJ,
Im going to throw some cycles at the R@H for the HWC team, F@H can do without a 980x while they wait for the general population to get 2P and 4P home computers. Any tips for optimizing the Rosetta?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
There's no optimization or tweaking required that I'm aware of. It's a set it and forget it type of thing. :biggrin:

Latest posts