What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Question on Staples 3-years extended warranty

chrisk

Folding Captain
Hate to break it to you, but if their extended warranty is anything like futureshop and/or best buys it does not cover the battery or the AC power adapter either and those are typically the things that will go first with a laptop

The staples warranty I bought 3 years ago covered the adapter and battery. Unless they have changed this, there will be no issues there.

technix

Banned
Is this a slightly different angle?: :) I'd be more wary of choosing HP. Not the most reliable laptop and yeah, I know about the laptop study but I'm not even going by that. I have looked at HP laptops in Staples and I'm not impressed. I think the prices are okay, not great but somewhat affordable for the laptop you get. The DV series doesn't look appealing to me. The casing doesn't seem to line up well. It looks like it would be a pain to take apart, repair and put back together. Techs or independent computer sellers often complain about repairing HP laptops. I'm not sure if they are specifically referring to all of them or mostly consumer line. I remember the silver HP DV series looked subpar but the newer DV series that are black/silver don't look much better. I also don't like how the optical drive is built on an angle and the chrome all over makes it look cheap.

I guess if you have to get a HP, I'd go for a ProBook, EliteBook or Envy series. If you must get a DV, then I think an extended series is an absolute requirement. I did consider HP so I hope no HP owners get offended but mostly because a lot of the DV series had specs I wanted. But, when I looked in person at them and read the poor reviews/opinions of them, I decided to consider Toshiba, Asus and maybe Samsung/MSI instead.

Delavan

The issue is not the need for the warranty only.

Over at Staples, they kinda try to convince you everything you'll buy is a POS and if you don't take the extended warranty you're crazy.

I bought a $60 router on sale, and they tried HARD to convince me I'll be totally out of luck after the 30 days in-store warranty. Kinda like saying : sir, you're on your own!!! lol.

EBgames bother you with their disk replacement warranty, and The Source is BAD for that too.

I took extended warranty on an LCD screen tho. Laptops are the same I totally agree on that.

bojangles

I worked at Staples (last day was 3 weeks ago) and yes, Staples does cover the battery with no exceptions. That's where the warranty comes into play. The battery is most of the cost and the rest is a just in case factor should something go wrong. One thing that we always saw come in was broken power inputs. The adapter came right off the motherboard and sometimes in that case, the entire motherboard needs to be replaced, which is a good $300.

It's really all a matter of if you want to feel safe and secure with your purchase. Another good thing at Staples, and this is an awesome deciding factor, is that you can get a COMPLETE REFUND of your Extended Service Plan before the manufacturer warranty is up. So say your laptop is working amazingly 11 months in, personally I would probably get a refund on that $150 or whatever. Staples will also refund your ESP after the manufacturer warranty by prorating it. So, you spent one year of the extra two years, you'll get $75 back or whatever.

Remember that Staples' 2 year plan covers the manufacturer warranty, AND THEN Staples' 2 year ESP kicks in.

Staples also deals with their service plans themselves, rather than outsourcing like what Future Shop and Best Buy do. In Ontario, Staples has a service depot right in Sarnia, so it's not like it has to go a long way to get your laptop fixed. Not only that, but they are certified techs for many different manufacturers.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

tao5269

The HP G42-154CA I got from Staples, it use the HP MU06 Lithium Ion 6-cell 10.8V 4200mAH..I could not find how many hours for the battery..not on Staples website, nor HP website ...So if all they tell u is how many cells and the mAH, how do u know how hours the battery will last and when it's time to replace it (under warranty) ??? There is no mentioning in anywhere so how can I prove the battery is no good??

As for 3-years extended warranty...They only let me buy it within 14-days of laptop purchasing time..and refund extended warranty is only 30-days (not 1 year) as stated on their website...They said for 1st year I bring the laptop in and they will send to HP..The next 2 years the service tech will repair it...They do have a laptop repairing facility near Montreal (in Laval). I noticed my HP is send directly from China to here..I just hope laptop will last. The CPU fan on the HP G42 is quite loud though..I can hear it often..

Last edited:

bojangles

If you're buying from the website, then that's a completely different story. I couldn't tell you anything about the website. But what I do know is that the stores in Southwestern Ontario refund the ESP even after the 1 year manufacturer's warranty, however it is prorated (which makes complete sense).

2 year ESP = Manufacturer's warranty + 2 years extra (battery covered)
3 year ESP = Manufacturer's warranty + 3 years extra (battery covered)

If it's an HP, during the manufacturer's warranty Staples takes it directly to HP. During the ESP, they have a certified depot to repair the laptops, etc.

In regards to how long a charge lasts, that totally depend on the performance behind the laptop, the battery size and the consumer. Usually it's anywhere between 2-3 hours depending on usage. When you notice your battery is getting down to 45 minutes to an hour, send your HP in for battery replacement. It's as simple as that.

CAUTION: Anytime you send your laptop to a warranty depot they will usually ALWAYS wipe the laptop clean. ALWAYS perform a backup of any critical files before sending it in.