What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

BigAdv for Windows is here - A3 bug in Linux

lowfat

Staff member
Are the bigadv servers down for windows? I tried to setup a bigadv client today and even after a few hours it wouldn't grab a WU. It had no problem grabbing a regular WU though.

Zero82z

Banned
Are the bigadv servers down for windows? I tried to setup a bigadv client today and even after a few hours it wouldn't grab a WU. It had no problem grabbing a regular WU though.
They might just be running out of units. The Windows client doesn't have A2 -bigadv units to fall back on if no A3s are available.

10e

I guess their "rollover" mechanism to -advmethods A3s had an epic server failure. I think another mod there said it should switch over to -advmethods in cases of BigAdv shortages.

6701s for everybody :clap:

I just switched the client that submitted that last BigAdv and had this issue to regular A3s by removing the -BigAdv switch for now.

Rison

Administrator
Folding Team

Make sure you set your client so they accept "large" instead of the default "medium" sized wu's. That's a common mistake.
But yeah, they said the windows bigadv will be on and off, as they don't have a huge number of wu's I guess.

lowfat

Staff member
I've also noticed my system is a lot more unresponsive when using the windows client compared to the VMWare linux client. Rather unusable at times.

10e

I've also noticed my system is a lot more unresponsive when using the windows client compared to the VMWare linux client. Rather unusable at times.

I'm seeing it being about the same as an SMP client running -smp 8 with BigAdv, but this is strange, as the VM runs at "normal" CPU priority while the Win SMP client runs at "low". Really weird. So I can also confirm with the VM my system also felt a touch more responsive.

A few things I've gleaned about Windows BigAdv so far:

1) As Rison stated previous to this post, make sure you must select Large WUs
2) Do NOT use -advmethods. If this flag is enabled for some reason you will not receive BigAdv WUs. This has been confirmed by Apollo and one other [H]ard OCP folder.
3) If there is a WU that has failed, and you are 100% sure your system has a stable overclock, ensure that you post on Folding Forum's appropriate sub forum with a full log snippet. Since this is technically a beta program there is no guarantee that all WUs are perfect, or that even the core is.

So far, outside of a couple of days where BigAdv servers seemed to not be sending out work, things seem more stable on the Windows version in terms of A3 BigAdv, but I don't think it's as stable as A2 was.

I guess with the newer A3 core they still have some work to do in terms of bug tracking.

lowfat

Staff member
I'm seeing it being about the same as an SMP client running -smp 8 with BigAdv, but this is strange, as the VM runs at "normal" CPU priority while the Win SMP client runs at "low". Really weird. So I can also confirm with the VM my system also felt a touch more responsive.

I had set to VM client to 'idle'. So I could game and everything perfectly fine w/ the client running. Definitely not something I can do now.

chrisk

Folding Captain
I had set to VM client to 'idle'. So I could game and everything perfectly fine w/ the client running. Definitely not something I can do now.

Have you tried a program like prifinity so that you can set the a3 cores to the lowest setting? May not work as well as the 'idle' property but worth a shot.

10e

You can stop the client, and restart it with the -config flag, then hit return 5 times, and when asked to configure "advanced options" say "yes" and then you can set priority to idle.

Alternatively you can stop mid unit and change the -smp flag to -smp 7 to free up a core, as long as you can still fold a BigAdv within the 4 day bonus period.

Latest posts