What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Hard drive and video card issues

Zodgrod

I've recently had some issues and this post is for feedback and advice.

I recently made room on one of my 4 250 GB drives for Windows 7 and the drive I used I am sure I hadn't yet used for anything. Anyway I had xp on one of the 250 gb drives and Vista on an 80 gb pata drive. I had windows 7 working installed but no sooner after I start using the drive I get a smart error that the drive is bad and to back up and replace. At this time I had no spare money as my wife was on mat leave so i couldn't afford a new hard drive so I left my system like this and mostly used win xp.
Then my video card a 4670 stops working and I replace it with a 4850 I had RMA'd earlier this year.

I use the 4850 playing starcraft 2 and I have one instance during the game where my system reboots.
The next time this occurs the system powers on but all that happens is that the hard drive light blinked as did the DVD drive light. I try resetting the power supply and nothing, so I decide to try other video cards and that doesn't work until I power up the system without my video card and I get the bios error beeps. I plug my card in and it powers up, I have to save my cmos settings and now there is no longer a SMART message concerning the windows 7 drive.

I go and buy a replacement video card and I put it in and it works and I go and produce the same error with starcraft 2 and it just gives me an in game message where low paged pool memory http://www.techsupportforum.co...ory-starcraft-ii.html
Instead of crapping out like my other cards did my new card just gives me a message where its scaling back the performance to meet up with the memory, as well with these reboots I see that in windows event viewer is saying that dmboot is to blame and it says its trying to mount a volume that's never been in my system.

Well I try and power it up just the other day and I have to yank my video card out to get the bios error put it back in and boot up. Last night my wife used the computer and everything worked normally.

Now I have purchased a 1TB HDD and I plan on cloning over vista and xp and the mbr which includes windows 7. I am wondering how difficult will it be to install windows 7 after this or should I just start from scratch and reinstall everything and copy over all my backed up data?

<!-- / message -->

_dangtx_

Banned
the antec should be mighty fine + wayy overkill , but test everything just in case.

_dangtx_

Banned
if the software plague hasn't taken home in there? swap whatever you can(including psu) just in case. with (some) experience comes the pain of overlooking simple (and sometimes stupid) little things that you may not overlook if it was your first time encountering a (pc) problem. that overlooking gets me usually.

Zodgrod

if the software plague hasn't taken home in there? swap whatever you can(including psu) just in case. with (some) experience comes the pain of overlooking simple (and sometimes stupid) little things that you may not overlook if it was your first time encountering a (pc) problem. that overlooking gets me usually.

I am sure I've eliminated most things with the exception of the motherboard and the one drive that died.

I will back up my data then I will clone my current drives onto the 1 TB.

Latest posts