What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GTX 460 Upgrade

evocati714

Greetings,

I was thinking about upgrading my current GPU to a GTX 460 but confused on which to get (ie. 768MB/1GB, MSI/Galaxy/EVGA/PNY etc). I would mainly play Empire Total War/COD Black OPs. Also, would I need to upgrade my PSU as well?

If anyone kind enough to give me some assistance, I would greatly appreciate it. My current specs listed below:

Dell XPS 435T/9000
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel I7 920 2.67 Ghz
BFG GTX 260 maxcore 55 nm 896 MB
8 GB DDR3 1066 Mhz (Dell stock)
PSU Dell stock 475 W

Thanks!!

The Destroyer

If you can get a good deal on a 1GB go for that. It really depends on the resolution you plan to play on. The 460s are great values regardless. I've tried some of the top cards and still go back to the 460s for my needs. The new 560s are being released this week too but at a higher price range.

Bond007

As said above, you will see an improvement but I don't think it is going to be an amazing upgrade. If you game at HD or lower resolution a 768mb should be fine, but if you can get a deal on the 1gb then go for it. Maybe wait and see what the gtx 560 brings to market and possible pricing changes if you can.

JMCD

As said above, you will see an improvement but I don't think it is going to be an amazing upgrade. If you game at HD or lower resolution a 768mb should be fine, but if you can get a deal on the 1gb then go for it. Maybe wait and see what the gtx 560 brings to market and possible pricing changes if you can.
I think waiting for 1-2 months would be a good idea. If you're going to upgrade, make it significant so you are content with it.

yamawho

Performance is one point but value is the other consideration.
If you cab get a 460 for 140$ and improve frame rates 20%, is spending another 100$ more to get 5 to 10% more worth the extra cost?

Ryoohki

Yeah the 560 will be officially released (the NDA) tomorrow. It will be between 250-300$ (depending if you take it stock or pre OC'd). Gigabyte will have a 1ghz (GPU) special version (from 822 standard) so that mean it will be an excellent overclocker like the 460.

Latest posts