What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Using 2 different PSU's on one system

JJThomp

is it possible to hook up 1 system to 2 different PSU's for example put half the fans and a gpu on one psu and the other half and another GPU on the other? or would power management get messed up?

Would definately be more cost efficient than picking up a single 1000w+ psu.

sswilson

Staff member
You can, but unless you've got a way of telling the second PSU to start up (there are ways to do it) you'll need to jumper the 24 pin and turn it on manually before turning on the system and off after you shut the system down.

howpet

Someone's gonna ask: What are you using that you think you need a 1000w? I guess I just did :biggrin:

JJThomp

Well nothing right now I'm just curious at this point because I have no money but maybe down the road I'd like to build my computer into a cabnet mounted on a wall beside 3 large T.Vs also mounted on the wall. in a massive 50inch eyefinity or surround setup with 3 of the best graphics cards I can buy lol

Hey it can't hurt to dream.

P.S I'll be a geologist so hopefully unless i have a family I can afford it considering the average geologist makes just short of 6 figures and ty for the info only 1 more year to go lol

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
When the time comes, an extra $100-150 for a proper PSU will be a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of your triple GPU setup.

JJThomp

When the time comes, an extra $100-150 for a proper PSU will be a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of your triple GPU setup.

I know but if I have 2 PSU's in different compartments I will generate less heat in my cabinet.

ilya

I know but if I have 2 PSU's in different compartments I will generate less heat in my cabinet.

Or you could just buy a better, more efficient unit. Some 80+ Gold units barely kick out any heat until you put a huge load on them. Platinum units are around the corner too.

Latest posts