What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for AMD HD 6990 Review

Delavan

The HD6950s will keep good sales numbers...and their price won't be affected...

coleo

hrrrm
as i suspected it is dumping a lot of hot air into the case. were those temps on an open air test bench and not in a closed case?

ilya

So using the performance BIOS will void warranty? :sad:

I'm also guessing that taking the card apart will be a PITA and will be guaranteed to void your warranty since most phase change material acts like solder. :blarg:

It's nice to see that this card gives the single 12v rail myth some credence. At 450W I'm pretty sure it will overload any individual rail on multi rail PSUs. :rofl:

I also don't get why AMD is trying so hard to offer value on such a high priced a flagship card. I guess it's nice that the premium is justified by included accessories and actual performance though. Temps look very nice too, under 80c on both cores is pretty darn impressive.

draemn

Gotta say, you really attacked a lot in this review and this card blew away my expectations! Hehe, it's a power hog, but you get the performance. Other than the issue of how close the CF 6950 performance is for $200 less, this card is definitely strong in the ATI lineup.

I gotta say, looking at many of those graphs, nVidia really has to improve their SLI performance on the 5xx line! The 6970s CF and (sometimes) the 6950s just blew past the 570 and 560 SLI. Even the 580 SLI didn't always get to stretch it's legs that far!

Questions:

I gotta ask, forgot to ask in the 6950/70 review, this new metamorphalogic AA (or whatever it's called) seems to just blur the entire screen based on your screenies... I hate AA that just blurs the screen, is this accurate?

"We found that enabling V-Sync reduced this noise but let’s be honest; you don’t buy an ultra high end card to play at a constant 60 FPS." - ??? I always turn on vsync if I can...

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Wow, $699 and it won't outperform 2x 6970's? I will say that it's an impressive jump up over the 5970.

Nice work getting the triple monitor charts in there too, SKYMTL. I'm sure that's a large target audience for this card.

draemn

You didn't explain noise that well... but after reading that a stock 6990 is LOUDER than SLI 580s... wow... that is noisy! Still, great great review :)

_dangtx_

Banned
i see no complaints yet on how the temps in this review are different than others.

open test bench vs closed case = can be quite a difference :)

chickmagnet19

wow finally!

oh my god! it's finally here!!! been waiting for so long! ^_^
oh well, I cant afford one right now. i think i'll wait; that stock reference design is a bad idea why not have 3 fans blowing down onto an array of foils instead of a blower fan? im not jumping on board a reference design one unless waterblocks come out and are relatively affordable considering the cost of the card.
I'm really interested in crossfire reviews :D
also the switch voiding warranty thingy I hope powercolor and xfx allow the switching modes that wouldbe a big seller. im sure lots of people want to toy around with it if its there ;)

Latest posts