What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Let's blow some minds

lowfat

Staff member
O lord not this. There is a thread posted about this a few days ago on another forum I frequent that now has north of 2000 posts arguing this.

YukonTrooper

Obviously the TI-86 is correct, but it seems the TI-85 is dividing when given a closed bracket expression instead of multiplying. Is this simply because of a setting inside the calculator or someone programmed in a different order of operations?

LarkStarr

no, as far as I know it's stock firmware. Your assessment is... not quite correct. the TI-85 is performing operations Right-to-Left, instead of Left-to-Right.

YukonTrooper

no, as far as I know it's stock firmware. Your assessment is... not quite correct. the TI-85 is performing operations Right-to-Left, instead of Left-to-Right.
Wow, I didn't even look at it like that. I was just taking order of operations for granted.

ipaine

I remember being taught something like BEDMAS. Brackets, Exponents, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction.

Using that you start with the (9+3)= 12. Then the division 48/2= 24 so that leaves us with 24(12) which then brings us to 288.

The TI-85 did it (9+3)=12 then multiplied 2(12) = 24 then did the division 48/24 which gives us 2.

Here is the explanation from Wiki about calculators

wiki said:
Different calculators follow different orders of operations. Most non-scientific calculators without a stack work left to right without any priority given to different operators, for example giving
288a944537610925c9cbc7b6259b7b4a.png
while more sophisticated calculators will use a more standard priority, for example giving
a2cf0cdb23153630a12a390c8be99db0.png
The Microsoft Calculator program uses the former in its standard view and the latter in its scientific view.
The non-scientific calculator expects two operands and an operator. When the next operator is pressed, the expression is immediately evaluated and the answer becomes the left hand of the next operator. Advanced calculators allow entry of the whole expression, grouped as necessary, and only evaluates when the user uses the equals sign.
Calculators may associate exponents to the left or to the right depending on the model. For example, the expression a ^ b ^ c on the TI-92 and TI-30XII (both Texas Instruments calculators) associates two different ways:
The TI-92 associates to the right, that is
a ^ b ^ c = a ^ (b ^ c) =
2bbe0a5b6673bf4851a01dcdcf72caf8.png
whereas, the TI-30XII associates to the left, that is
a ^ b ^ c = (a ^ b) ^ c = (ab)c. An expression like 1/2x is interpreted as 1/(2x) by TI-82, but as (1/2)x by TI-83. While the first interpretation may be expected by some users, only the latter is in agreement with the standard rules stated above.

lowfat

Staff member

No it isn't doing right to left. It is just performing multiplication before division.

chubaka

thats why everyone should learn how to use an RPN calculator... no such problem... lol

Latest posts