What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

SLi coming for AMD chipsets

The RealRollo

Banned
We had a post about this a while back. Older news now.

ST

I know it was rumored, just wanted to put the first official notification of it out there. Personally I hope the Bulldozer chips + SLi mobos mark a return to having real choices when building a PC.

My 980a/PhenomII 965 makes an OK platform for a single card, but is a bottleneck for my multi GPU sets.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I know it was rumored, just wanted to put the first official notification of it out there. Personally I hope the Bulldozer chips + SLi mobos mark a return to having real choices when building a PC.

My 980a/PhenomII 965 makes an OK platform for a single card, but is a bottleneck for my multi GPU sets.

Fair enough, well it will be nice and anyone who knows me here knows that I have bitched about that since AMD dropped the nVidia Chipsets, and since nVidia stopped making decent ones.

ST

b1lk1

Ssadly, Nvidia fell on their faces HARD after the NF4 chipset, nothing has come close since, no matter what platform they tried to support. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything groundshaking since I don't believe Nvidia's heart is in chipsets so they are not likely to make much of an effort in my mind.

The RealRollo

Banned
Ssadly, Nvidia fell on their faces HARD after the NF4 chipset, nothing has come close since, no matter what platform they tried to support. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything groundshaking since I don't believe Nvidia's heart is in chipsets so they are not likely to make much of an effort in my mind.

These are AMD chipsets, NVIDIA is just licensing SLi to them. (like they do Intel) So you'll have AMD motherboards with both CF and SLi as options, just like on intel boards.

If the new AMD chips are competitive on performance, we'll all have the first real option we've had in years. This could be big.

francisw19

Thanks for the link. I suppose with nvidia being out of the chipset market, I'm not entirely surprised by this. Anything nvidia can do to enable SLI on both major platforms just brings in more business for them, IMO. (i.e. AMD users can go SLI instead of just settling for a single nvidia GPU).

_dangtx_

Banned
yup. instead of you clicking a certain free program twice to get sli going on your amd motherboard,they will
save you those 2 clicks :)

Latest posts