What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Platform Upgrade=Windows Reinstall?

Wurmer

I always do a clean install no matter what. It takes more time but I feel that it helps clean the system of unwanted leftovers especially when the computer has been running for quite some time.

Perineum

Seems like an easy answer to me. Correct me if I'm wrong or inaccurate but I think the main reason you might have an issue is because of chipset differences and thus, driver differences. If you have variation there, you'll definitely want to re-install the OS to be safe.

There may be some utilization of generic drivers but in most cases, there will be differences and then there will be some conflict and where Windows is expecting a certain driver, there will be something else there.

Imho, the best thing to do is to compare the home pages of the hardware and compare the chipsets/drivers.

In most cases, it's just easier to re-install and then you don't have to concern yourself with problems that might arise.

I would just copy all the data (files) and settings to another drive so that when you re-install, the data is still there and usable. Bookmarks can be carried over as well.

It's quicker to not reinstall, at least with Windows 7. The hardware abstraction layer correctly sees which hardware is installed and enables and disables drivers accordingly. There isn't any problems whatsoever.

I've just done it on a X38 -> P67 upgrade. Just plug the drives in, wait for an abnormally long bootup, and everything is fine after a short while.

With Windows XP you would have to do a repair install if you were moving from a different chipset as your old install would just BSOD upon booting.

I've done it many, many times with great success.

Installs (especially Windows XP) take a ridiculous amount of time, especially when you are reinstalling the software packages.

mkultra

windows 7 is fine without a re-install, i've booted countless computer with one of my win7 install for becnhing/testing/troubleshooting. i've swtiched from 1366 to 1155 to 775 to 1156 and it never failed me

chipset doesn't matter, win7 will load the proper drivers for the proper hardware.

not optimal but will works just fine

xp doesn'T have the ability to do this without messing the os, re-isntall

MARSTG

Win XP is much better when talking upgrades to totally different platforms, just put the right drivers and goes like a charm. W7 is totally different, fresh install is expected most of the time. For mkultra try switching from Intel chipset to AMD/nVidia chipset with your Win7 install see what happens. Because you have that Intel.inf that supports all generations there is no issue but try something radically different with W7 and BSOD is almost guaranteed.

Perineum

Win XP is much better when talking upgrades to totally different platforms, just put the right drivers and goes like a charm. W7 is totally different, fresh install is expected most of the time.

Huh? Multiple people have said that it's not an issue.....

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
OK, and from my experience yesterday, I changed my wifes P35/E8400 to a P67/2600k using Win 7 Premium 64 bit and it booted fine. Installed new drivers, activated windows, and it was up and running in under 10 minutes.

MARSTG

OK, and from my experience yesterday, I changed my wifes P35/E8400 to a P67/2600k using Win 7 Premium 64 bit and it booted fine.
Like I said, change from intel to intel. Anyone changed from Intel to AMD, AMD to Intel? At least in my experience, it does not work smooth. I am not arguing it doesn't go smooth Intel to Intel, but how about something totally different?
Update.
I changed yesterday 2 SSDs on different systems : positive experience changing from AMD on nVidia 740i SLI to AMD on 785G. That went smooth, it took 2 reboots and all worked fine, no driver to install. The second one, not so easy. Core 2 Duo on Intel 945 express to AMD on nVidia 740i SLI was freezing and rebooting 2 seconds after seeing the 4 coloured dots of Win 7 boot screen coming together. So had to do fresh install. Anyway, using a USB drive it took 12 minutes from zero to usable desktop and I got a very nice 7.4 WEI for the SSD.
So, I have mixed experience now, I guess transitioning on the same brand of cpu is much easier than changing from Intel to AMD.

Attachments

• WEi 7.4.jpg
    WEi 7.4.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Latest posts