What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Having hard time Deciding on parts

Remy_85

Case

What I require

-Sexy looks
-Good Cooling
-Goes well with a Blue and black theme
-Easy fan/case Cleaning
-Easy drive management.

What I have in my mind so far:

Coolermaster Haf X EATX - Love it, but I want a blue and black scheme for my tower, and the 230 x30 mm fan(unless someone can tell me where to find one), well I can't find another fan that fits that size. The look isn't the greatest, but other than that I love this case.

Antec Twelve Hundred 1200 V3 - This case is Awesome, but I have issues with the removal of the hard drive bays and cleaning the fan screens. Removing all those screws just looks like a pain. The look I think is sexy, but I am not sure if there is a place to put an optical drive lol and if that is the "case" then I have to cross it off right now.

Azza Hurrican 2000 - I have mix feelings about this case, I have no Idea how I feel about it design, but it has the blue look I require, plus the easy swapping Hard drive bays. I do like a better window on my case though.

Here is my question, Which do you think is best tower in your opinion? Or is there a different tower that I am missing all together? Any help here guys would be great, honestly I have researched so much about different cases I am tired of it, and I want to see what other people think.

Motherboard
What I am looking for:
-Design
-Reliability
-Features

I am having a hard time deciding which motherboard to get. I have two that really catch my eye

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme - Now I love this board. The look I am not to sure cause I am going with a black and blue theme for my rig. The board it self is amazing though. I have also and currently use an Asus mobo and I find them to be very reliable.

MSI Big BANG-MARSHAL - This is the other mobo I have been looking at, and god damn I love it, the look the features. The thing I take issue with, I am not sure if I need 8!!!!! pci slots I am going to be running sli but Having so many seems like major overkill for me. Plus I haven't owned MSI board since my first build which was ages ago and I don't know how reliable they are.

Question, which of these two do you prefer? Or again Am I missing something completely and I should be looking at another 1155 mobo

Graphics Card/GTX 580
Which is the best one! LOL I can't figure these damn things out. I read reviews I look at features and it just makes my head spin with all the different companies and different variations of the video cards.

I pretty sure I have nailed it down to the MSI Lightning.

Now the questions. What is your favorite 580, is a warranty the most important thing? like EVGAs life time warranty? Or is the clock speed? or how much Ram it has. @~@ just makes my head spin.

RAM
I have a budget about 150max I am willing to spend on RAM, I am looking for 8gigs but willing to go down to 6gigs and expand later.

What is the best RAM I can get? I was looking at the Cosair Dominator, but in all honesty I don't know anything about RAM or specs, so I am completely shooting in the dark, and just going by what little info and reviews for each product they have out there.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arinoth

Staff member
Threads merged and moved to new build section as it seems there is enough parts that the OP is building one (or mostly one)

Lanboy

Banned
Case....Coolermaster Haf X EATX - Love it, but I want a blue and black scheme for my tower, ..

So there are no problem since Cooler Master do the Haf X in blue version ( man I'm looking at it for my new 1155 MSI board )

Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition RC-942-KKN3 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I have some concern about your motherboard, Big Bang ? very much expensise for your $ 1500 budget ( if your 150 was a typo mistake of course)

to stay with MSI the Z68A-GD80

Newegg.ca - MSI Z68A-GD80 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

or MSI P67A-GD80 will do the job , I have this one and I'm satisfy ( all true only since 3 days )

Newegg.ca - MSI P67A-GD80 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

for the GPU you don't go wrong with the Lightning

For you memory buy what you need now, expend don't always work good as I experience latelly, and your 1155 will need 4, 8, or 16 GB a multiple of 3 like the 6 gb is for triple channels board, unless you are planning to use mixes size of ram capacity

Last edited:

Remy_85

Dood! AWESOME! I had no idea they made the HAF X in a Blue version, that makes things very simple for me now, other than the fact I don't know if I can buy that at NCIX :(

Oh my budget is 2200 by the way. So any other changes you would make? The 150 was just for the RAM.

So there are no problem since Cooler Master do the Haf X in blue version ( man I'm looking at it for my new 1155 MSI board )

Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition RC-942-KKN3 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I have some concern about your motherboard, Big Bang ? very much expensise for your $ 1500 budget ( if your 150 was a typo mistake of course)

to stay with MSI the Z68A-GD80

Newegg.ca - MSI Z68A-GD80 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

or MSI P67A-GD80 will do the job , I have this one and I'm satisfy ( all true only since 3 days )

Newegg.ca - MSI P67A-GD80 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

for the GPU you don't go wrong with the Lightning

For you memory buy what you need now, expend don't always work good as I experience latelly, and your 1155 will need 4, 8, or 16 GB a multiple of 3 like the 6 gb is for triple channels board, unless you are planning to use mixes size of ram capacity

maverick_brent

Never used it but once I saw it fell in love with it is the neo board and who cares if it has 8 pcie slots that just leaves more space between cards

Solace

if i recall evga remapped its warranty to 10 years over lifetime. not sure if this is on all cards but either way i would still buy from them other then MSI. clock speeds will vary given the max oc for each model will vary, just aim for the best cooling solution imo and the best warranty if your spending that much on a gpu. for ram 8 gigs dd3 1600 cl8 you can get for under 100 easily which is plenty fine, you wont notice a difference in ram even if you went up to the 2k+ barrier. gskill/corsiar seem to be top 2 for that.

Coffaholic

The evga warranty is based off of different part numbers. I pulled the following from their site.

Products purchased ON or AFTER November 1, 2006 MUST be registered within 30 days of the ORIGINAL DATE OF PURCHASE to receive EVGA's Free Extended Warranty. All products not registered within 30 days will ONLY receive a 1 year limited warranty. Refer to the following suffix guide to identify the length of your warranty:
  • Limited Lifetime: -A1, -A2, -A3, -A4, -AR, -AX, -CR, -CX, -DX, -FR, -FX, -SG, -SX
  • Limited 5 Year: -GR
  • Limited 3 Year: -K1, -K2, -KR (Before 1/1/11)
  • Limited 2 Year: -LA, -LE, -LR, -LX, -T1, -T2, -TR, -TX
  • Limited 1 Year: -B1, -BR, -BX, -DR
  • Limited 90 Day: -RX (Recertified parts)
NCIX.com - Buy EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Fermi 850MHZ 1024MB 4104MHZ GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card - eVGA - 01G-P3-1561-AR - in Canada model # 01G-P3-1561-AR = Limited Lifetime if registered within 30 days.
NCIX.com - Buy EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS Superclocked Fermi 900MHZ 1024MB GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card - eVGA - 01G-P3-1567-KR - in Canada model # 01G-P3-1567-KR = Limited 3 year if registered within 30 days.

edit: looks like they have a special of sorts on at the moment.
3 Year Warranty applies to KR cards. *May 1st through June 30th, 2011. Register your -KR card with EVGA and get upgraded to a 10 year warranty*

fishingfanatic

New Build

If you decide 2 go 580, get the 3gb version. If u go the 580 with thoughts of going sli later, get a 1000w psu

like the Corsair HX1000. Modular is better 4 cable control and looks. 2 570s or 560s could probably get away

with 750-850 watter.

My preference 4 ram is Mushkin, but G Skills, Patriot and Corsair r all lifetime warranty and good 2. Compare

using pricebot/pricebat,....

For your HDDs, look at Samsung F3 or WD Black 1 tb 6gb/sec. A SSD 4 an OS, if it's in your budget would b

good as well.:biggrin:

Remy_85

Thank you guys, Love all the help.

I don't know if I am more confused about which products are better now LOL I had in my mind one set of specs now reading this other stuff I have to re-review all the products again AHHHHHH hahahahha

oh plus

Which should I get ?
Antec Kuhler H20 920 vs corsair h70

I believe from what I read the h70 has better cooling, but I am not 100% sure.

I am thinking the nh-d14 but It is just so DAMN big! I want a more sleek looking rig.

Latest posts