What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Let's go Team !!

badatcards

I understand what you are saying Badatcards, but the thing that I think you need to consider is that once the assignment server issues a WU, it is not issued to someone else until after the deadline.

So the WUs that the assignment server gives bwm (but are not downloaded by bwm) are not issued to anyone else until after the deadline. The server has to wait until after the deadline, which means that science gets done more slowly, hindering the project and the search for cures. This is bad.
Even if what they are doing is putting off the date the the project is maybe finished, It can only be a few hours/days at most. I'm pretty sure the scientist's that are getting the data when we are through are not staying up 24/h a day studying the results and writing their paper's:haha:.

The way I see it is if someone is going to spend 1000's of $$$$ on hardware/ farm/ hydro just to fold as a hobby they should be able to pick their WU's. Maybe that should be a bonus for people that as long as they have 10+ clients going( a folding farm) they can pick their WU's as a extra bonus for the extra effort they are doing. Those of us running are everyday PC's with 1-9 clients get the rest:thumb:.

F@H is the biggest supercomputer in the world, I'm sure it can re-prioritize the WU's and get them back out their ASAP if needed. I would bet PG does not care about him or others doing this 1 bit:thumb:.

The guy just want's to bust out some good ppd before he kick's the bucket....... I dont see this as a reason to hate on the guy and his wife. I know some people here argued with him at times ( Who or Over what, Cant remember ) , If they hate him because of that, OK sure:haha:. But this:doh:

lowfat

Staff member
If the work units are getting assigned then it is no different than erasing work units you don't want.

I think what he is doing is wrong. He gets the good units, while others are forced to get the crappier wu's.

He is more worried about ppd and not the actual science being done. :sad:

Dead Things

It really is as simple as this: BWM's actions are deleterious to the project. P6701's aren't as common as they once were so the furor has quieted down. But it all comes down to this question: Does the project benefit from work unit completion despite assignment manipulation.

Fortunately, there is a black-and-white response to this question from the Pande Group. Peter Kasson has previously described blocking assignment or work server IPs as "inappropriate manipulation." No, there may not be any explicit rule against this engagement, but it most certainly goes against the pith and meaning of the EULA. Vijay Pande said they would not zero out BWM's points simply because there was nothing expressly forbidding the behaviour in the EULA, but that guidelines against IP manipulation should be created so that future instances can be dealt with.

This is a clear indictment of BWM's behaviour and testimony that it is damaging to the project as a whole.

From a personal perspective (especially since BWM is poised to pass me in the world rankings sometime in the next few days), I feel exactly the same as that one guy from [H]... Gee thanks for letting me fold the WU's you don't want. Assholes.

badatcards

He is more worried about ppd and not the actual science being done. :sad:

I dont think that is the case:haha:. He joined more teams than anyone I know of, his points are scattered every where. If he was worried about his point's he would have stayed with 1 team regardless if they like him of not ( Your stuck with me:haha:) . He's bin folding sense 2004 at least and for 5 different team's.

I think if your going to be mad over him apparently getting all the good WU's you should also be mad at everyone who buy's extra PC's/rigs/farms just to fold on because their also taking YOUR WU's:bleh:

lowfat

Staff member
I dont think that is the case:haha:. He joined more teams than anyone I know of, his points are scattered every where. If he was worried about his point's he would have stayed with 1 team regardless if they like him of not ( Your stuck with me:haha:) .

It definitely is the case otherwise we wouldn't be rejecting the units worth less points.

badatcards

It definitely is the case otherwise we wouldn't be rejecting the units worth less points.
Even if it is. big deal. almost everyone here jumps at a new client if offers more ppd , Even though the other client is still putting out WU's. As long as people are folding...... The F@H program is not suffering:thumb:.
They still have to make the 80% complete rate so they cant be deleting that many

_dangtx_

Banned
how about we change subject? :) tis not the rants thread lol

and a cold one on the house!

chrisk

Folding Captain
Interesting topic that I thought some members who know bwm would be interested in. Other than that, some folks agree with what they are doing, and others will not.

Bottom line for me is that Kasson says to not do this, so as a team I would ask that we don't do anything outside of the constructs that Stanford has set up for us already.

Fold on everybody lets just agree to disagree (and agree not to do this too ;p)

Chris

Latest posts