What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD Bulldozer FX-8150 Processor Review Comment Thread

dma0991

What is disappointing is that it is supposedly new and all but it barely beats Thuban and loses in some tests even against Thuban. What chances does Bulldozer has against Intel when it can't even be competitive against its own product? :doh:

MAC

Associate Review Editor
I would estimate wprime to be close to 239 seconds @ 4.6Ghz.

I actually ran wPrime 1024M at 4.6GHz in the review, got 241 seconds.

By the way, I updated that section to include the overclocked power consumption numbers, you will be...impressed.

Prolab

I actually ran wPrime 1024M at 4.6GHz in the review, got 241 seconds.

By the way, I updated that section to include the overclocked power consumption numbers, you will be...impressed.

447 watts?? Well, at least that puts my rig to 680+ watts. Im halfway there in being efficient with my PS :biggrin: .

NI3

Anyone looking at specifically BF3 should look into reviews. Good stuff, I guess... if you don't pay the electricity bill.....
I am not really interested in BF3, so I guess I will be waiting for PhII price drop, to finally pick up an X6....

Last edited:

moocow

Hmm...as a gaming platform I would say 2500K is a better deal. However, I'm looking at a new server first so this may be make a cheap entry VM server. Is the FX-6100 under NDA? I would like to see some numbers from that CPU.

dma0991

Hmm...as a gaming platform I would say 2500K is a better deal. However, I'm looking at a new server first so this may be make a cheap entry VM server. Is the FX-6100 under NDA? I would like to see some numbers from that CPU.
With that kind of power consumption I doubt BD will be a good server CPU. I'd like to see AMD actually producing something worthwhile but this is utterly disappointing. :sad:

moocow

Can't really afford anything better I'm afraid. I could buy a used i7-920 from the trading forum for similar performance but it would even burn more juice. The benchmark does make people wonder what AMD R&D is doing. Yes, engineering anything takes time, effort, and money but when the product barely beat out Intel and even your last generation product, it really hard to justify the price.

JJThomp

Yeah you need a monster PSU to run a decent gaming rig with one of these things. 800w with a 460? man I'm so glad i picked up a 2500k before intel bumps the price up because they have no competition.

bradleyg5

WOOT WOOT! I just switched from AMD to intel and I'm trying to sell my phenom II 945. LOL it's scores just barely behind the fx8150 in most of the gaming benchmarks.

phew dodged a bullet with NCIX sending me a broken AM3+ board, I would have been infuriated but now I'm just kinda giggly.

AMD is totally dead though, unless they come out with a chip that has an onboard 6970 I don't see them surviving in the processor game.

Latest posts