What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Planning to get a new MacBook Pro tonight, recommendations?

Cadence

Hi HWC,
after years of hating on Apple, I now have to get myself a MacBook Pro because what I'm studying in University, them and the rest of the entertainment industry use Mac OS based software -_- (ProTools,Qlab,Final Cut,etc.).
Anyways, I haven't jumped ship to the i7 processors for my desktop yet so I'm just wondering how comparable any of the i7 MacBook Pros (I'm looking at 15" and 13") will be to my outdated desktop (rig in the sig!) and if you guys have any recommendations regarding MacBook Pros.
I plan on adding an additional 4GB of RAM later on so any thoughts of manufacturers, etc. would be helpful as I've read Apple is picky with that.

Thanks guys.

Edit:
I chose this path instead of getting a non-apple laptop because I find installing W7 with BootCamp is easier than having to find a laptop that has the right hardware and hackintoshing.

Last edited:

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
There shouldn't be any compatibility issues between the programs your industry uses and the Windows version of those programs. Most file formats are cross platform supported.

As for other things you may want to know: my girlfriend has a new Macbook Pro 15" and its overheating issues have been a constant headache.

Cadence

There is no Qlab for windows. There is SFX which is garbage. FinalCut is only for Mac if I'm not mistaken. Pro Tools is on both Mac and Windows, same goes with anything Adobe and Sony Vegas ,etc.
Also, I'm upgrading from a black plastic body MacBook C2D.

SKY: overheating as in it shuts down? or overheating as in it just gets really fricken hot in general? I know Macbooks all of them have been at hot-to-the-touch at some point or another.

p3t3rsn

I have a 2011 MBP and love it. So much so I have sold off all my PC stuff. My recommendation would to get the high-res anti-glare screen its a big improvement and the upgraded processor. Stick with the lowest RAM avaliable as aftermarket Kingston or Corsair RAM can be bought much cheaper. I was able to overclock the video card while undervolting it as well. I have had no overheating issues what so ever. Also you can upgrade the HDD to SSD later but you lose trim. If you want TRIM you must use the Apple SSD. HTH.

SKYMTL

Staff member
SKY: overheating as in it shuts down? or overheating as in it just gets really fricken hot in general? I know Macbooks all of them have been at hot-to-the-touch at some point or another.

First one was shut downs, second one was throttling. The third one now isn't exhibiting any of the issues but runs FAR too hot and the casing reaches temperatures that make it almost impossible to put on her lap.

Cadence

I have a 2011 MBP and love it. So much so I have sold off all my PC stuff. My recommendation would to get the high-res anti-glare screen its a big improvement and the upgraded processor. Stick with the lowest RAM avaliable as aftermarket Kingston or Corsair RAM can be bought much cheaper. I was able to overclock the video card while undervolting it as well. I have had no overheating issues what so ever. Also you can upgrade the HDD to SSD later but you lose trim. If you want TRIM you must use the Apple SSD. HTH.
And this is the late model that just came out earlier this month?
Regardless, thank you for your input.
Although SSD's are definitely getting cheaper, I still can't justify one for a laptop, I got one for my desktop and love it, definitely notice a difference even when I jumped from my WD Raptor drive to the OCZ Vertex2 SSD. I've also read about TRIM hacks for using your own SSD.
In regards to overclocking the GPU on the macbooks, I know it would be cake to do with ATI Overdrive on Windows side but what about the Mac OS side?

First one was shut downs, second one was throttling. The third one now isn't exhibiting any of the issues but runs FAR too hot and the casing reaches temperatures that make it almost impossible to put on her lap.
Your girlfriend went through 3 macbooks?!
I can relate, my plastic black macbook is way too hot, I would've thought that the aluminum body would've dissipated the heat better =\

Neolithium_Wpg

if you guys have any recommendations regarding MacBook Pros.
I plan on adding an additional 4GB of RAM later on so any thoughts of manufacturers, etc. would be helpful as I've read Apple is picky with that.

Pretty much any Corsair or Mushkin kits play very well with MacBooks, OWC as well - the latter being the most recommended among people on the Apple/MR Forums. I would suggest going with a 15" if you're doing multimedia, the extra real estate due to resolution would probably be very welcome.

The prevailing build for students in your field over at MacRumors has been a base 15" model with 8GB of RAM - HDD/SSD varies between users, I've always been a fan of more storage space above SSD speed, there's a plethora of great 1TB notebook drives kicking around nowdays. (Ironic since I'm typing this on a MacBookAir :haha:)

SKYMTL

Staff member
Your girlfriend went through 3 macbooks?!
I can relate, my plastic black macbook is way too hot, I would've thought that the aluminum body would've dissipated the heat better =\

Yes she did. I have a friend who has already been through two as well. First one had a yellow tinge to the screen while the other kept stuttering.

As for the aluminum, sure it dissipates heat faster but that heat has to go somewhere; in this case, onto your lap.

Latest posts