What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for AMD HD 7970 3GB Review

TedShackley

as hard as it is to find 6950 CF reviews that match games/benches with the 7970, the 6950 CF beats it in most all things I found

I already have 1 6950 for 1080p...so I'm going to risk hassles and crossfire

Eldonko

Would you say better drivers will help PCI-E 3? Also regarding SB-E, has Intel certified PCI-E 3 on these chips? Do we know if it is working properly?

Aimbayya

as hard as it is to find 6950 CF reviews that match games/benches with the 7970, the 6950 CF beats it in most all things I found

yea it would be awesome to see how 2 hd 6950 compare to this beast

TedShackley

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team

:blarg:

Sky, I'm not being facetious here, but when you tell us all about the poor PCIe Performance, in your own review you only mention gaming performance, and there is no mention of PCIe2 Performance in the Compute section of your review, you didnt even compare it to itself under PCIe2, so I went somewhere else to read about it...

And now that you've replied to my post about other sites stating that compute peformance is up under PCIe3, and you refuted it, thats well and dandy. This is why I was saying a 'blurb' outside gaming performance, and why you didnt do any compute based comparison testing under PCIe2/3, would have been nice. :thumb:

lKashl

Keep an eye on Toms Hardware charts if you're looking for a direct comparison:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2011-gaming-graphics-charts/Gamer-Index,2673.html
Although for the moment it doesn't seem to have the 7970 listed, but hopefully it comes up soon (pretty sure they do list engineering samples)
Also keep in mind with those charts that you cant simply minus the results and say this card is xx% faster than that card, its relative to an index so you have to perform a simple a divide function.

6950 2GB CF here I come. Hope it works right, I got my gigabyte z68xp-ud4 from there too

Just to let you guys know, CFx (and SLI -im not picking on ATI-) suffer from a phenomenon referred to as microstutter. You can read up on it here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

If you already have a 6950 then by all means crossfire will be worth it due to the price saving, but I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND not going down the crossfire route for those of you without a preexisting 69xx card (explained below if you can be bothered reading).

As the 7970 is ~40% more powerful than a 6970 and a 6970 is ~15% less powerful than a 6950 that leaves the 6950 as being ~60% slower than a 7970. Just speculation for the moment, but if you consider that the 7970 will most likely overclock better than the 6950, by say about ~10%, we could say that the 7970oc'd is ~80% faster than a 6950oc'd. Considering crossfire with a 6950 yields ~90% extra performance, thats only 10% extra performance but microstutter degenerates our perception of this performance, making the 7970 a better alternative (especially considering the power and heat savings not to mention the driver headaches with cfx).

*All results were taken from Toms Hardware Gamer Index for 1920x1200 and solved for by simultaneous equations, other resolutions may prove to be different.

Last edited:

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Would you say better drivers will help PCI-E 3? Also regarding SB-E, has Intel certified PCI-E 3 on these chips? Do we know if it is working properly?

No and no. But ASUS is in the process of validating their boards and has not experienced any issues so far.

wiak

good review, btw would be useful to atleast have 2 highend previous generations graphics card to compare the new generation to, like say
Radeon HD 7970 vs Radeon HD 6970 and Radeon HD 5870
NVIDIA kepler vs Geforce GTX 580 and Geforce GTX 480

it is useful for people like me that still have a HD 5870 so we can see if it realy is worth upgrading
keep up the good work :)

Latest posts