What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

4 pin connector into a 6 pin?

LaMig

Hello guys, My pc broke down the other day so I have been testing part with a friends computer and figured out that it is the PSU or the motherboard, maybe the processor but I doubt it. I wanted to connect his power supply to my rig and see how it would turn on but we found that that his power supply only has 4 pin connectors for the cpu power connector while mine shows 6. I was wondering is it ok to do that? it is only going to be temporary just to see whether it is or isn't the power supply, that way I can tell if it is the motherboard at fault or not. I just wanted to be sure and thanks

supaflyx3

As long as your rig isn't OC'd thats fine. Also are you sure that 6 pin isn't PCI-E auxiliary power for multiple video cards? I don't remember ever seening a 6 pin EPS..

Soultribunal

Staff member
As long as your rig isn't OC'd thats fine. Also are you sure that 6 pin isn't PCI-E auxiliary power for multiple video cards? I don't remember ever seening a 6 pin EPS..

Something is off there, maybe a mistake but there are only ever 4 or 8 pin.

But as you said, so long as there isn't an OC you should be fine using just a 4pin.

-ST

LaMig

No, my computer isn't overclocked and I made sure I took off the GPU too just in case his psu couldn't run with the GPU on it.

Something is off there, maybe a mistake but there are only ever 4 or 8 pin.

But as you said, so long as there isn't an OC you should be fine using just a 4pin.

-ST

oh ok thanks might have been an 8 pin, I didn't get a real good look but it was more than 4 for sure, if so then it probably was 8, just a miscount on my part.

Soultribunal

Staff member
No, my computer isn't overclocked and I made sure I took off the GPU too just in case his psu couldn't run with the GPU on it.

oh ok thanks might have been an 8 pin, I didn't get a real good look but it was more than 4 for sure, if so then it probably was 8, just a miscount on my part.

No worries mate, thats what I figured just helping you out thats all.

The 4 pin connector will be keyed to only fit in on one side of the 8pin on the board.
Make sure you don't force it if it doesn't feel like it wants to go in. Good Luck!

-ST

M

member 3099

I've never seen a 6 pin CPU power. 4 or 8... but 4 will work in the 8pin slot, there's also adapters for it, but you shouldn't run a 4pin with anything higher than a ~125W CPU.

LaMig

I've never seen a 6 pin CPU power. 4 or 8... but 4 will work in the 8pin slot, there's also adapters for it, but you shouldn't run a 4pin with anything higher than a ~125W CPU.

The one I have is 95 W so I guess its fine

LaMig

going to go over to my friends in a while, will update this with what the problem was. Thanks everyone!

btw one last question, can I plug in my 8 pin into his 4 pin on his motherboard or is that a bad thing?

M

member 3099

going to go over to my friends in a while, will update this with what the problem was. Thanks everyone!

btw one last question, can I plug in my 8 pin into his 4 pin on his motherboard or is that a bad thing?
It will be fine. It'll be notched in a way that you can only plug it in the proper way.

Bond007

There is only 4 or 8 pin for CPU, and it is fine to run them on each other (they are keyed to only fit one way). If it is a 6 pin then it is for a graphics card...do not force it in a cpu connector.

Latest posts