What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

My SSD failure

Chris

2 months short of a year, my OCZ 50 GB Vertex2 failed to boot today. I have initiated RMA process.

I use it mainly as a sandbox in Linux. It cannot boot after the last shutdown. No warning or anything. Bios cannot recognize it, so cannot recover anything. Good thing I do not have anything important and sensitive on it. With HDD, at least there is some kind of warning.

Chris

But, it was the latest offering from OCZ at the time, and I thought Vertex2 was improved from the original Vertex1. Vertex3 was in the wind.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I've had 3 SSD failures.
An old Kingston V 40GB that had a poor ITGC, an OCZ Solid, and a Force.

I think it is still cutting edge and there are bound to be failures from all the major players out there right now.
We are paying to be BEta testers still, as far as I'm concerned.

-ST

Chris

Yes, I agree SSD is not for prime time, yet. I was experimenting with it. My initial thought was to put one into my Sony Vaio laptop. But, I'll have to wait till it is more mature.

Galcobar

Yes, I agree SSD is not for prime time, yet. I was experimenting with it. My initial thought was to put one into my Sony Vaio laptop. But, I'll have to wait till it is more mature.

Sandforce pushes speed over reliability -- which is why Intel spent a year and a half working on firmware for the SF-2281 controller before deeming it fit to release, while all the other manufacturers were selling.

That said, I went through multiple failures with my Vertex 2, after the third failure in eleven months I asked for and (eventually) received a refund from OCZ.

You might be able to get some of your data off it, if the problem's anything like what I experienced. Try unplugging the drive from the power connector, then plug it back in. I could usually get about five minutes of use before the drive would panic-lock itself and throw a red status light. Couldn't get anything big off it, but certain files such as my Firefox profile were retrieved.

Soultribunal

Staff member

Yeah thats what it comes down to.
I still have my trust tried and true Mechanical Drives which have proven reliable for years.

-ST

Chris

You might be able to get some of your data off it, if the problem's anything like what I experienced. Try unplugging the drive from the power connector, then plug it back in. I could usually get about five minutes of use before the drive would panic-lock itself and throw a red status light. Couldn't get anything big off it, but certain files such as my Firefox profile were retrieved.

The bios cannot detect it, so no access at all. Booting Win7 hangs. Booting Linux hangs. I have cleared cmos and took out all other hdd, leaving only the ssd, but bios does not recognize it at all. The only way to boot linux was to remove the SSD, change the fstab to exclude ssd.

I don't have important data on it. I do have a backup done a month ago, so when I get an rma replacement, I'll just write the image on it.

Latest posts