What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Folding@Home Windows and PS3 Starter's Guide: FAQ, Links to Guides

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
You can 'install' FAH where ever you want. As for 'killing' a SSD, my 2p and 4p folders are using SSDs without a single hick-up.

r3uz0r

hey guys. I started reading about this a couple of days ago. I have like a zillion questions but first, whats the purpose of this gigantic project? I mean, do you get paid or some kind of reward for lending your pc to do massive calculations? I mean, to do this properly I imagine you need to have a good pc.
ty

Silent_Avenger

hey guys. I started reading about this a couple of days ago. I have like a zillion questions but first, whats the purpose of this gigantic project? I mean, do you get paid or some kind of reward for lending your pc to do massive calculations? I mean, to do this properly I imagine you need to have a good pc.
ty

First off you don't get paid to do folding. The folding project contributions are more like making donations. The main purpose of the F@H project is to do protein folding to help find cures for various diseases. F@H is also non profit meaning any results the project comes up with anyone is free to use them. You also don't need a massively beefy system to contribute to the F@H project. Just about any computer built within the past 5 years or so(in some cases even older systems) would be able to contribute to the project however you have to weigh the effectiveness of the systems obviously newer systems will be able to complete work units faster and more efficiently than an older computer. The big main reward would most likely be contributing to find a cure maybe even a cure that could save your life one day. I suggest you read through the F@H FAQ section here: Folding@home - FAQ it covers most topics of the F@H project. Also if you have more questions or have trouble getting started don't hesitate to start a new thread in this section and ask specific questions.

r3uz0r

I will check that out! I didn't know it was such a serious project. I will try to help in any way I can. tyvm !

stoanee

Folding Team
Been a while since I did old fashioned smp folding, seems to me it is supposed to max load your cpu. Mine is not and I do have the -smp flag set as well as prioritiy.

EagerBeaver

Hey guys, I'm very interested in starting to fold. I do have a question though - how long until I receive my passkey? I sent an email last evening and tried again this morning, but am yet to receive an email with my key.

LoTech

Folding Team
You may have to fold a bit first. But I am not sure. Maybe ask Chrisk our captain.
Welcome to the fold.

EagerBeaver

I there a way I can set an idle powerload and working powerload? For example, medium while working and full when idle? Also, what are the prerequisites for the computer to be identified as idle?

Edit: Aw man, I tried to change my fan curve in MSI Afterburner, so I changed my GPU to idle. When I started it back up, I lost ALL of my accumulated progress over the past two days. Is there anything I can do about this? The GPU is just stuck at ready and 0%.

Last edited:

Latest posts