What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GTX 660 Ti Review Comment Thread

Soultribunal

Staff member
I would never close a review comment thread. I would just exclude the offenders.

And the useless namecalling posts will be cleaned, once a certain reviewer has a chance to see them. Any posts with valid questions or comments will be left.

Exactally, regardless right now we want SKY to see what has been said for any counter comments should they been required.

We are not here to silence people, just keep the peace. Which, is precarious atm.

-ST

AkG

Interesting. I asked about this in the Anandtech comments section and Ryan replied:

Given the diametrically opposed viewpoints, one of you has to be wrong. Have you two ever discussed the issue?

This thread has gone full retard. Is there any way that it COULD be moderated? I don't see why some people are getting so bent out of shape and arguing with performance from other websites. Give it a rest eyefinity, and this is coming from someone who LIKES amd gpu's. Personally I consider the 7950 vs 660ti to be a wash depending on what resolution you play, same for 680 vs 7970. That said, can you please figuratively shut the hell up? Jesus christ, the signal to noise ratio is horrible right now.

I just spat my coffee all over the keyboard at work...
gonna be fun explaining to my IT department why i need a new one in a few weeks lol.

Yup it has gotten surreal. Honestly there is zero reason why it should have. This aint even a high end card. Its 'only' a mid-range card. Wierd. Usually this level of neckbeard rage is reserved for the latest 'king' gpu from either company.

When things get this surreal with circular arguments and claims of being paid off (as if any company could afford to buy off ALL the reviewers...everywhere) from fanobis (and lets face it there is no convincing a neckbeard s/he is a loser...they are not ready to take the first step needed in becoming a functioning member of society...yet) they only thing left to do is poke them and laugh at their expense. Glad I could give you one mattlef. Honestly would love to see a valid argument put forth by our english troll. I know I love to see where I could improve future reviews....and regardless of what some people say it is all about giving a fair and balanced review so peeps can make a logical/wise/valid decision void of PR buzz.

@Galcobar. No idea. It is interesting. My best guess - and I am not a GPU reviewer and know jack about the nitty gritty - is they may have access to different software than us mere mortals. They are a tier 1 site....so they probably has dedicated employees at both camps to make sure everything goes smooothly. That or Sky overlooked something. Or Ryan has. Either are possible. We all screw up (just look at the missing games list in my Phoebus review for proof of that!...still no idea how they went MIA until someone pointed it out!)

Post edit to keep things tidy....ish

This reminds me of the time someone tried to tell AKG that the intel 520 series was "crap"...

To stay on topic, very nice review Sky the forums got your back.

Yeah that was fun. English trolls are always 'fun' to play with. Never did hear from that unoffical Kingston rep again did we. :haha:

JJThomp

This reminds me of the time someone tried to tell AKG that the intel 520 series was "crap"...

To stay on topic, very nice review Sky the forums got your back.

P.S AKG I so have a neckbeard right now... maybe i should shave lol

Last edited:

horusray

I'm new to the forum. By carefully reading Sky's comments and reviews, I don't see how he's biased against any camps.
Also, I find it ironic that the person who is defending AMD uses a forum name - "eyefinity".... Just saying.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Are you seriously trying to tell us that Nvidia doesn't have much closer relations to Crytek and Bethesda? That they didn't pay millions to Crytek for Crysis 2?

You mean like on Batman and Skyrim? What about Nvidia's driver development on F1, how did that work out?

Please show me proof that NVIDIA paid millions to EA. And how would anyone know who has closer contacts? Without validation on BOTH sets of cards, gaming on either AMD or NVIDIA just wouldn't work.

EVGA-GTX-570-61.jpg

Take a long hard look at that image and tell us you ain't biased. Lost Planet 2? Are you telling me that's not an outlier? Oh wait...you only don't benchmark outliers when they favour AMD right?

You're dredging up an article that's almost two years old? Well then....at that time I was also benching AvP, a game that very much favored AMD: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...s/37789-nvidia-geforce-gtx-580-review-10.html

Oh did you miss the techreport's article on Crysis 2? Or did you just "forget" about it?

Crysis 2 tessellation: too much of a good thing? - The Tech Report - Page 6

No comments to make on that one? I see you're still benching it after all. :whistle:

Again, you proved my point. While NVIDIA had very little / no hand in the optimizations in the game, it was NVIDIA that brought about the DX11 patch that brought advanced graphics to CryEngine. It wasn't AMD. And they did that without cutting AMD off at the knees on the performance front with proprietary shader models.

In your benchmarks I'm sure you can even make Dirt Showdown look good on Nvidia. Why not add Alan Wake, or Anno 2070 instead? Will you be adding Sleeping Dogs or Hitman Absolution? What about Sniper Elite? No? You're gonna be left with the biggest joke of all benchmark suites soon, save perhaps Tweaktown. Grats, you've found your level above Anandtech and below Tweaktown as the 2nd most biased Nvidia fansite on the web.

:shok::shok:

How could anyone make Showdown look good on NVIDIA?

Maybe you don't understand what goes into selecting a game to add to our charts. First and foremost, it has to be stable...so you can eliminate Sleeping Dogs and Hitman right off the bat. Next up, we need to validate that benchmark sequences are repeatable without undue influence being applied by the CPU. Hence why Anno 2070 never made it. Alan Wake didn't make the cut either since it doesn't stress the GPU all that much to begin with.

Please list all of the current and upcoming AMD games that you have deemed "unfair" on Nvidia and won't be benchmarking. Just for reference sake.

Now how could I do that? I don't immediately cast aside a title simply because it favors one over the other unless there are obvious optimizations or proprietary features that cut the competition's performance. I literally go through a half dozen games a month in an effort to ensure we have the most comprehensive testing suite around. Few make the cut but that's not my problem.

Do you even realise that Tweaktown had the 660 Ti beating the 7970 quite often? And that the 560 Ti was right up in performance with the 6970? If you think Tweaktown is anything BUT biased you have serious issues.

You sir, are delusional. TweakTown has been nothing but critical of NVIDIA in every one of their reviews. They are constantly taking NVIDIA to task over not supporting them. But they are biased in NVIDIA's favor? Are you kidding me!?

Ryan Smith is well known for being in close contact with Nvidia, and he isn't shy of mentioning it either. Notice a common theme with all these techsites that give better reviews to Nvidia?

All reviewers worth their beans keep in close contact with EVERY manufacturer.

I'll give you another hint : go read some of SKY's posts on xtremesystems and see him defending Nvidia to the hilt against a myriad of people telling him that the 7950 is the better option - AMD Rolls Out new HD 7950 BIOS, Expects Existing Customers to Look the Other Way

What's your point? You completely glossed over the fact that I was ragging on AMD's lack of transparency. NOT ONCE did I say the HD 7950 was a poor purchase.

God I'd love to be so naive that I believe that all of this is fair and kosher. All above board, money never changes hands, no threats from Nvidia or anything like that. What's it like to be living in denial?

You're drinking too much of Charlie's KoolAid. Every manufacturer knows better than to threaten or bribe sites.

SKYMTL

Staff member
Interesting. I asked about this in the Anandtech comments section and Ryan replied:

Given the diametrically opposed viewpoints, one of you has to be wrong. Have you two ever discussed the issue?

Neither of us are wrong. However, several OC cards have expanded power limits hard wired into their custom BIOSes. There is no way to compensate for that in software as there is no way (without studying the BIOS file that is) to know how much -if any- it has been modified.

We choose to use the reference BIOS since it is the safest way to ensure we are replicating stock conditions. :thumb:

SKYMTL

Staff member
I'm starting to mod posts not directly related to the GTX 660 Ti launch. Take note.

Also, a recommend that everyone sticks to the topic at hand.

Soullessone21

I'm starting to mod posts not directly related to the GTX 660 Ti launch. Take note.

Also, a recommend that everyone sticks to the topic at hand.

On topic Sky in your personal opinion what card seems to be the best bang for the buck in the 660ti Environment? Personally I have only got to play with the MSI PE edition and the PNY Base model but how do the other brands compare on the benchmarking side?

SKYMTL

Staff member
On topic Sky in your personal opinion what card seems to be the best bang for the buck in the 660ti Environment? Personally I have only got to play with the MSI PE edition and the PNY Base model but how do the other brands compare on the benchmarking side?

I'm actually going to say the Galaxy GTX 660 Ti GC.

Latest posts