What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

getting the most points from the clients

vinister

Hey guys,

Well obviously I'm trying to catch up and pass all of you in the ranks ;) so I'm interested in hints and tips for increasing my PPD.

I am running the ATI gpu client, with a 3870 clocked to 1Ghz. I get about 1700 PPD, which is a bit low from what I have read even for a stock 3870. Is the GPU client CPU speed dependant? I have found that the higher I clock the 3870, the lower its useage goes. at stock speeds, I see about 95% GPU useage, but at 1Ghz, I get only 70%. Does that mean it is not taking advantage of the higher clock speed? My phenom is only running at stock because it refuses to OC. Is the low CPU clock holding back the GPU client?

I sometimes run a CPU client at the same time. It seems to actually lower my total PPD, compared to running the GPU client alone. Why would that be?

Also, the SMP client refuses to install on my Vista 64 box. When it is supposed to give me the 2 messages that say everything is all good, it gives me a single message that says it is not good. 'Could not initialize' or something. I am using an admin account with a username and pass, put everything in properly, but it never works. Would the SMP client give me any benefit anyways?

I'm interested in what hardware you guys are using that are getting 3000-5000 PPD.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Hmm, can't give you much help on the ATI GPU client. I'm running the Nvidia Client on the modified drivers while running Boinc on the CPU, producing ~4600PPD on the GPU.

For the CPU client, are you running the console version? This gives the most PPD.

For your install problem, I had problems with Vista 64 and SMP console Beta 5.92. They changed the kernel somehow, and it only works on 32bit versions. Try using the older 5.91 Beta 6 console version.

vinister

Interesting that you get double the ppd as I can. Maybe this is a cpu limit, your cpu is about twice as powerful as mine.

Scratch

Yea Im running the NVidea GPU client and the BOINC client at the same time also. I noticed my production fall slightly on ppd for the GPU client but it wasn't overly significant so I'm not worried about it. I'm just amazed at what a quadcore and an 8800 can produce with both of these running...it's a freaking folding machine
and yes I do have both OC'd

vinister

I wonder why my GPU is not being used fully. This is a graph running the GPU client only, it uses one core's worth of CPU, but split up over the 4 cores. I don't know if its supposed to behave like that, the faq says it should only use 1 core.

The more I push the GPU clock, the lower the GPU useage goes, and the more CPU is used.

Attachments

• 3870clocks.jpg
    3870clocks.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 120

Dashock

I wish i could tell how much of my gpu is being used it would be interesting as i dont think its being fully utilized but i am getting over 5k pdd now.

LCB001

For your install problem, I had problems with Vista 64 and SMP console Beta 5.92. They changed the kernel somehow, and it only works on 32bit versions. Try using the older 5.91 Beta 6 console version.

I had the same problems with the 5.92 SMP, switched to 5.91 and have had no problems.

Currently getting around 5530 PPD on a 9800GTX with a mild software OC. It uses about 5 - 7% of one core on my q9450.

Dashock

nice im only getting 200 less with my 8800gt right on i gotta catch up to yeall.

ipaine

I wish i could tell how much of my gpu is being used it would be interesting as i dont think its being fully utilized but i am getting over 5k pdd now.
Use Rivatuner.

I use rivatuner and I can not get the option to have it monitor the actual GPU usage. I have tried everything I can think of and it just will not give me an option to display that in the hardware monitor. Is there a guide or some sort of step by step thing to show me how to get it cause I just don't see how others can get it but I can't.

I am using the newest Rivatuner (at least I believe so) and currently using 177.35 drivers, if that helps at all.

Latest posts