What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Take away the Metro UI, Win 8 is a winner.

Generic User #2

No. He is using just like most people use it...as a force multiplier to get shite done FAST. Why the frack would I want to remember the name of 200+ programs just so I could TYPE them in (what is this the DOS days all over again?), when I could hit a frickin icon + label with my mouse? Guess which one is faster. THIS is one of the reasons windows gained market dominance as it was FASTER and EASIER than DOS and Unix. Win 8's start menu is neither fast nor easy. Its a kludge. A kludge meant for fat fingers on toys 'n' tablets....not TOOLS. At the end of the day a desktop PC is a tool, not a toy. Having to install a 3rd party app to gain basic usage abilities is SHAMEFUL.

you DON'T have to type the full program name in.

Installing is a bad thing? Then how on earth did you get 200+ programs working on your system in the first place?

EDIT:

on a sidenote, it is interesting how Linux folks call the windows GUI a "toy" and 'shells' how real men get work done.

They're still there, they're not good enough. The biggest problem is that there's vertical movement that you have to be careful about outside of the hot corners for the charms bar or task switcher.

ah, that does sound familiar.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
you DON'T have to type the full program name in.

Installing is a bad thing? Then how on earth did you get 200+ programs working on your system in the first place?

But again, you're assuming that I know the name of the executable file. Who knows, maybe it's something like the data files location for a program like FAH.... Or some obscurely named little app that only does one thing, but those two times in the year you need that one thing done it's the cat's behind.... I'm not going to memorize the name of the program let alone the executable.

And dumping a bunch of shortcuts onto a toolbar??? Nope, why would I try to re-invent the wheel? What we've got now works.

edit: And quite frankly I think just like vista we've got two camps who are never going to see eye to eye. I personally would love the small benefits that come with the core OS, but metro and the lack of a start menu are an absolute deal breaker for me when it comes to a desktop.

Generic User #2

but you do know the name of the folder it's under though right? the 'ASUS' folder? Is there a problem with naming the the program "ASUS"-exename? You could literally do it the next time you open up that program.

EDIT: you're completely right on this (at least we see eye-to-eye here). I'm always one for progress; Win7 wouldn't be the same without WinVista doing the legwork for it. As long as there IS a solution during the transition period.

otherwise, I'd be busy hanging out on usenet with the linux guys *shudders*

enaberif

But again, you're assuming that I know the name of the executable file. Who knows, maybe it's something like the data files location for a program like FAH.... Or some obscurely named little app that only does one thing, but those two times in the year you need that one thing done it's the cat's behind.... I'm not going to memorize the name of the program let alone the executable.

And dumping a bunch of shortcuts onto a toolbar??? Nope, why would I try to re-invent the wheel? What we've got now works.

edit: And quite frankly I think just like vista we've got two camps who are never going to see eye to eye. I personally would love the small benefits that come with the core OS, but metro and the lack of a start menu are an absolute deal breaker for me when it comes to a desktop.

You pretty much nailed it on the head..

XP vs Vista
Windows 7 vs Windows 8

The older generation computer users will stick with 7 till the last dying breath or a better OS comes out.. those young generation who know no better will go with 8.

enaberif

but you do know the name of the folder it's under though right? the 'ASUS' folder? Is there a problem with naming the the program "ASUS"-exename? You could literally do it the next time you open up that program.

EDIT: you're completely right on this (at least we see eye-to-eye here). I'm always one for progress; Win7 wouldn't be the same without WinVista doing the legwork for it. As long as there IS a solution during the transition period.

otherwise, I'd be busy hanging out on usenet with the linux guys *shudders*

We get it you love Windows 8... But trying to force that reasoning onto people around here ain't going to jive and you will get a lot more resistance than you think.

90% of the people around here swear by 7 as they did XP and simply will not be forced to change.

AkG

Look at a certain way you could consider a unicycle progress over a bike. After all it requires less materials to build, takes up less space and is different looking...but that dont mean its necessarily is true progress.

Remembering the name of a program that you haven't used in a couple months, then removing your hand from the mouse to type it in, then putting your hand back on the mouse to select the RIGHT program out of a list of possibles it will find.....vs scroll and click. Yeah I'll take that bet. Taksbar is for the few programs you USE on a regular basis. The start menu is for all the rest that are needed but not used on a daily basis.

Honestly, *nix dweebs are a bunch of elitist asshats. A pc is a tool. The easier and more efficient the tool...the better it is. Everything else is dick beating. So thats no true argument you are making...and this is coming from someone whose been with computers since before Windows was the defacto std.

Win 8 has GOOD things about it....but it has been hobbled by a crap interface. Its 'change' for the sake of change. That is NOT progress. THe OS should be customizable and accommodate the needs of the user. The user should not need to change in order to accommodate the OS. Some people with like the full screen bollocks BS. Most will not. Its not that hard to give the option of having it do one or the other....MS are just being lazy.

Mars

90% of the people around here swear by 7 as they did XP and simply will not be forced to change.

So you're saying the people around here will switch to Win9, which will be essentially the same as Win8 with a service pack?

Some people with like the full screen bollocks BS. Most will not.

Most people aren't going to care either way.

Has anyone taken the task manager from 8 and tried to drop it into 7 and see what happens?

Doesn't work.

Evilyeti

Installed Windows 8 Pro on my LAN box tonight which is hooked up to my TV. Used it for 4 hours and paid $5 for Start8. Now that I have Start8 it is perfectly fine.

Haven't tested any games on it yet but will be later this week.

chrisk

Folding Captain
There is no way I am going to use the search feature to use or access a program. I install lots of utilities that I barely ever use...I will often browse through my start menu to look for programs I can uninstall, or give a second shot to see if its still useful.

I have some issues with my wrist and shoulder from using a computer too much; Windows 8 required me to use the mouse way too much, and as I stated above, the search function was going to be a pain.

What I need is some new-fangled setup where I can use a mouse to easily navigate all my apps, in one area on the screen in a logical order that does not require me to use the mouse too much. I was thinking something like this:
220px-Windows-95-Start-Button.png

That said, I will use the best software for my needs. I don't care about the principle of it. Yes, Microsoft should include a legacy option for the Start menu. But I am not stubborn enough to stay away from Windows 8 if it offers me something useful, even if I have to skin Start8 on top of it.

Latest posts