What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Wireless Bridge?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
AHA! Yes, that's a possibility. I'm pretty sure there's a heat duct under the desk the router sits on too, and the basement is being framed out now, so I still have access to the ducts.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Put a rounded weight to one end of the cable, and let it run down the duct. Punch the inside of the heat duct on one side and make the network connection in the wall next to said duct.
Word of caution: make sure the cable is securely attached inside the duct, and that there is no local strain. A large diameter coil will work.

Enjoy gigabit speeds... ;-)

ZZLEE

Shielded cable and duct rated. Much faster than powerline.
Disable wirless on SMC if its the same one I baught from Rogers:angry2: and run something better like the ASUS RT-N 16 I got a wile back.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Enjoy gigabit speeds... ;-)

Whose desk do you think the modem sits on? I always have a wired connection, it's the rest of the house that has to suffer. :biggrin:

I'll be nice and drop 2 runs, one from the spare bedroom where my wife's computer will be. Probably 100 feet of cable and a switch to avoid using a 15' wireless connection on her CPU (or running a cable in the hall), but worth it to avoid "The wireless isn't working AGAIN" comments like the last time her computer was wireless a few years back.

YoungMan

Incase you can't get a wired connection, I use a wireless bridge solution myself.
I'm in a separate house, so it's not really a good idea for me to drill holes through both houses and then have a wire laying around outside.

I disabled the router portion of the modem and used my own router. I'm with Telus though, not sure how Shaw is. WNR3500L (was around ~$40 for me) with tomatousb firmware on it.
I have a WRT54GL which is using DD-WRT to act as a wireless client bridge. Tomatousb doesn't do a good job supporting that, not sure about easyTomato though, but that only works on the Asus RT-N16 (which I recommend for a router).

So I go from wall > modem > wnr3500l (tomatousb) > wireless g > wrt54gl (dd-wrt) > pc/switch. I still get 2MB/sec, which just about saturates my internet connection anyway, so it's perfect for me.

Previously I was using the Asus wl520gu, and that thing sucks hard. I couldn't even get 500kb/sec with it's wireless, but it's damn cheap if you're only using it for wired internet routing.

Perineum

And thanks for the offer to drill holes in my brand new house. I'll keep the 5 year envelope warranty though. :biggrin:

I suppose I should leave this at home then?

perineum-albums-random-picture1123-hilti-t1.gif

grinder

hahaha.. HILTI POWAH!!!!

powerline adapters are a gimmick if you ask me... my home is newer than 10 years and even under ideal conditions my Trendnet unit was a POS. It was a PITA to setup and slower than wireless N. farewell to bad garbage

on a lighter note ducting is the secret to running wire from floor to floor, good call 3.0 Charlie!!!!

If the ducting seems too ominous nothing bridges better than a pair of Apple AirPort Extreme's.