What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Nehalem- New Intel CPU (X58 chipset)

mailaw

Ok you all might know about this one, but it was a pretty big shock to me when I first read it and there was no discussion or topic on this forum about it.

Here's one link (I'll add more later)

1) http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-x58-nehalem,5829.html

2) bit-tech.net | Nehalem and X58 show up in Taipei

3) Intel Details Upcoming New Processor Generations

Benchmarks *new*

4) http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-nehalem-core,5854.html

There are no benchmarks with this one because of something to do with NDAs, but the benchies will come.

These look like they could have a great future.

There is no more FSB :shok: (overclocking - some new way :blarg:)

Enjoy the read and watch your heart rate.

Last edited:

CanadaRox

From what I've read, the X58 chipset and the processor will each have a clock generator. On the server/mainstream processors one will be locked (the one on the processor), forcing people to get the Extreme Edition processors for overclocking. Heres a random link from Google explaining it: HARDSPELL.COM-Intel banned Nehalem to overclock. Hopefully this isn't the case, the Extreme Edition's wont be super expensive or there is a way to unlock the CPU's clock generator so it can be overclocked, otherwise I'm hoping that AMD can get something worthwhile out.

mailaw

But outside of the oc side of things its a whole new chipset with different features and a whole new set of stuff for us to all buy.

Yaaaaay! j/k

Dashock

cant waitttt for these babies to come im saving up for a new Intel rig !!! I just hope it does not cost an arm or a leg.

b1lk1

cant waitttt for these babies to come im saving up for a new Intel rig !!! I just hope it does not cost an arm or a leg.

The initial releases will definitely be the high end parts like Intel always does. Don't expect any bargains for the first 6 months.

As long as AMD can't compete in the high end, I guarantee Intel will kill overclocking since they lose money on every low end CPU that overclocks as far as their high end stuff.

MpG

From what I've read, the X58 chipset and the processor will each have a clock generator. On the server/mainstream processors one will be locked (the one on the processor), forcing people to get the Extreme Edition processors for overclocking. Heres a random link from Google explaining it: HARDSPELL.COM-Intel banned Nehalem to overclock. Hopefully this isn't the case, the Extreme Edition's wont be super expensive or there is a way to unlock the CPU's clock generator so it can be overclocked, otherwise I'm hoping that AMD can get something worthwhile out.

If you've got time to burn, and the inclination to sort through a bunch of posts, this thread may prove educational (albeit speculative). The quotes below are from someone with fairly established connections with Intel.
blauhung said:
First off this is not the position of the company, only my personal feelings, but....

there isn't really any bus on the Lynnfield or Havendale chipsets, only the interface to the southbridge. Everything is on the package and that is all locked to where it's set at. The reason for the in package PLL is most likely because the clock generation and splitting can now all be done on die which makes for far more control over the process and less part compatibilities to worry about. The second PLL probably just sets speeds for the SB and all the other IC's on the board that need clock generation. This is not a change that is there to lock out overclocking, that is a side effect of the new platform structure.

Second, Intel is not ditching enthusiasts, they have devoted a platform specifically for them.
blauhung said:
Yup, Intel isn't ignoring us. They are devoting entirely new platforms to this comunity. Because of the requirements that this community wants, these new platforms may cost a bit more. They are ignoring the people who get the cheap chips and make them work like the better ones do. They are not locking them out to prevent you from overclocking them. They are moving everything on die to lower power requirements and cost of production of the home and business desktop/mobile platforms with the goal of greatly improving performance per watt and dollar. This has the side effect of removing the levers that this community uses to raise the clock speed.

I repeat, this is not in place to screw this community. That just happens to be a side effect of all the improvements that 98% of the users will greatly appreciate.
In a nutshell, for the other 99%+ of the processor market that doesn't include overclockers, there are potential gains to had by putting everything on-die, including the parts that we like to screw with to get more out of our processors. If nothing else, it sounds fairly reasonable. Time will tell, of course, but the overclocking community is nothing if not resourceful, although there may be a steep learning curve required by the manufacturers.

Mibs

I'm really excited for Nehalem (see avatar :biggrin:). The fact that they are moving to a whole new architecture for the first time since I have been heavily interested in computers is what is really drawing me towards it. Nehalem News is an excellent place to keep updated on it, as well as research everything else that has happened since the development began.

b1lk1

I can't help but feel that Nehalem is quite over-hyped. It will not be offering any monsterous gains over current Quads and there will be little software to take advantage of it as well. I plan on riding my current system into the sunset until it feels like a P1. About the only real changes I have planned is a next gen (not ANY current gen) video card.

magictorch

mmm thats a disturbing development if they are going to lock down the core overclocking no matter how good the chip is cw with present offerings. I guess the days of turning 2.4-2.6ghz processors into watercooled 4ghz brutes are numbered.

Hopefully AMD will sorts themselves out-aren't IBM developing something with them anyway? If only they could repeat the opteron 165 vs the pentium D battle.

b1lk1

I would be shocked to ever see Intel get caught with their pants down ever again after that fiasco. AMD needs to just stick to midrange like they are with video cards, that way we still win.

Latest posts