What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Recommended Wifi PCIe Card

Generic User #2

My cousin just bought himself a ASUS RT-N66U. He was planning on connecting his family's gaming machines with ethernet cable, but there is someone wrong with the in-wall wiring he needs to use to connect the last machine.

What card do you recommend for him? Keep in mind that there is only about 10m and a single floor between his computer and the router. As well, the ability to maintain a stable connection is absolutely key and good latency is very important. He does NOT need high throughput for things like sharing networked files; he doesn't do that ever.

Chris

I was using wireless router for a long time, have one that is supposed to do 300mbps, but I only got 130mbps out of it. Not bad for video streaming. But I have moved my router to the basement and cannot get a strong signal on my second floor where my desktop is, so I bought a pair of Trendnet TPL-401E which are rated at 500mbps. It works through the house wiring, and I got consistent speed of about 200 mbps.I recommend doing this better than a wireless router unless you are using a laptop.

Generic User #2

I was using wireless router for a long time, have one that is supposed to do 300mbps, but I only got 130mbps out of it. Not bad for video streaming. But I have moved my router to the basement and cannot get a strong signal on my second floor where my desktop is, so I bought a pair of Trendnet TPL-401E which are rated at 500mbps. It works through the house wiring, and I got consistent speed of about 200 mbps.I recommend doing this better than a wireless router unless you are using a laptop.

Yes, I recommended this to him already, but he thinks it will mess up his other electronics. Couldn't convince him that it wouldn't.

sswilson

Staff member
Do you know what router he is using? I went whole hog and bought a high end dual band wireless N Linksys external that I've been quite pleased with, but there'd be no use in spending $60 on a high end wireless card if his router isn't simultaneous dual band / high speed.

I have a D-LINK DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter connecting to a [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D-LINK DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router. They are only 1 floor apart, but the heating ducts are directly in-between. I can only get ~ 60% signal strength. Good enough for streaming HD content.

[/FONT]

sswilson

Staff member
Heating ducts are death on wireless reception. Might as well have the router's antenna shielded. :)

Latest posts